User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Mon 27-Oct-14 09:30:25
Print Post

Sky shooting themselves in foot?

[link to this post]

Iíve just had the letter from Sky informing me about the increases to the Sky Line rental and Sky Talk service, with the increased charge for the 1571 voicemail service.

I donít use my landline phone Ö Iíve got my mobile phone for thatÖ.so the only reason to have the Sky Talk service is because I need the land line to deliver my fibre broadband service!

Iíve just cancelled the 1571 voicemail service (thankfully Sky made that easy) and if I had the opportunity, Iíd be cancelling my Sky Talk service as well.

Iím happy with the Sky broadband service but itís hard to swallow the charge for the Sky Talk and land line rental that goes along with it.

I feel Sky may actually be shooting themselves in the foot with this sort of increase because for the first time since I got Sky, about 20 years ago, Iím actually considering dropping their TV and getting myself something like a FreeSat box Ö combined with everything thatís available via broadband now, Iíd most likely end up saving myself a lot of dosh.

Sky increasing their telephone service charges may actually end up saving me a lot of money, and losing Sky a lot more?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Oct-14 09:51:25
Print Post

Re: Sky shooting themselves in foot?

[re: sam_nospam] [link to this post]

Sky is just following the trend of all the others, BT is highest at £16.99 per month now.

In terms of cord cutting, I think more people are starting to do this, and even Sky can see this hence why Now TV exists and is a cheaper way of getting Sky Movies.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Oct-14 10:15:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by sam_nospam:
Iím happy with the Sky broadband service but itís hard to swallow the charge for the Sky Talk and land line rental that goes along with it.
Line rental primarily pays for maintenance of the cable and other parts of the physical network. Only a very small part of it (a quid at most probably) is being 'wasted' on the voice service you don't need.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Mon 27-Oct-14 10:44:42
Print Post

Ö.so the only reason to have the Sky Talk service is because I need the land line to deliver my fibre broadband service!

Iíve just cancelled the 1571 voicemail service (thankfully Sky made that easy) and if I had the opportunity, Iíd be cancelling my Sky Talk service as well.

The basic Sky Talk service is free..........
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 27-Oct-14 10:56:00
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Line rental primarily pays for maintenance of the cable and other parts of the physical network.

Where my parents lived the cables were laid in 1934ish although they weren't a subscriber until 1946 and then had to have a "party line". Over the following 50 years actual infrastructure improvements were minimal, the same pole, the same PCP and drop wire. I doubt that the original cables going back to the exchange have been replaced. The only significant change in all that time was the arrival of STD and numerous renumbering of the service. IMHO the line rental is too much for too little in the way of actual maintenance,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Oct-14 11:07:42
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Line rental is not free of course and do Sky even do a CPS Sky Talk product these days?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Mon 27-Oct-14 11:14:07
Print Post

...... Iím actually considering dropping their TV and getting myself something like a FreeSat box Ö combined with everything thatís available via broadband now, Iíd most likely end up saving myself a lot of dosh.

So, unless you are in a Virgin cabled area, how are you going to get broadband, at a reasonable price, without a landline?
(committed) Mon 27-Oct-14 11:16:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Line rental is not free of course and do Sky even do a CPS Sky Talk product these days?

Sky Talk comes free with their Line Rental. (What is CPS?)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Oct-14 12:35:13
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Carrier Pre Selection, i.e. you pay firm A line rental, but calls are routed and billed by company B

Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Mon 27-Oct-14 12:53:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies and I think it throws up quite a few points.

I remember when I HAD to pay a standing charge to British Gas for them to have their gas appliance sitting under my stairs so that they could monitor how much gas I was using.

I understand that part of a charge for a service would include essential maintenance used by the provider of the service, but given that broadband/internet access is now seen by many as just as much an essential utility as say gas and electricity, I think it's reasonable to start thinking that the delivery 'kit' be at a more reasonable price to the end user.

Sky, like other media providers are now pushing a lot (most?) of their media content via the internet and it seems reasonable to ask how much longer we'll need things like TV antennas/satellite dishes etc. to receive that media.... basically we'll just need a delivery system to let us access the internet?

Bottom line for me is I can now do without the traditional land line and telephone system for telephone calls and use my mobile phone or something like Skype. That just leaves the business of getting the broadband/internet access utility to my house.

I understand that companies like Sky may well have to start considering how much they charge for their internet service based on more realistic cost of actually delivering that service (I had until last year Virgin Media Broadband... that was really expensive and was delivered by their own cable system), but in the meantime I'm still considering dropping Sky TV and getting a FreeSat box and supplementing it with all the goodies available via the internet smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to