User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrispduck
(newbie) Tue 28-Oct-14 20:51:07
Print Post

unlimited adsl but limited vpn

[link to this post]

Just found out my unlimited adsl package has new limits when it comes to using vpn.

Throughput drops from 1.4m to an average of 110k. Not only does this limit my vpn, but it limits my second computer to the extent where on boot it won't sync up to the windows ntp server, or is able to contact windows update service, never mind resolve dns.

My previous provider was ipredator and that was fine, but they no longer take paysafe. My new provider is ghostvpn who seem to offer outstanding service and value for money, if I was not limited to my isp.

The person at sky info informed me that the adsl service now no longer supports vpn due to fibre being introduced and my only recourse is to move to the professional version of fibre.

Also my contract is up in less than 2 months, how is Zen besides being a bit more pricey?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Oct-14 21:09:35
Print Post

Re: unlimited adsl but limited vpn

[re: chrispduck] [link to this post]

If Sky is limiting vpn it is breaking the rules around totally unlimited.

Am sure others use bpn for the odd bit of home working, so have you confirmed with other users of same vpn service that all is well?

NOTE one assumes you are not saturating connection in one direction

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chrispduck
(newbie) Tue 28-Oct-14 23:07:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr S, it smells like the old days of heavy traffic management. All starts off quite well, but then the speed drops, and poodle to a trickle.

It could be the router, the only problem with that the old vpn gave me far more than double the throughput, for hours/ days on end and never crashed. Also when I bypass the vpn and go naked, there was no restriction and all the data flows sometimes reaches 1.6m (in peaks, average is 1.4M). I did ask what the latest firmware was, and she could not tell me that either.

Today was a record. After just over 2 months of starting off around 500k, it actually made it to the 1.2m mark for a fair few mins, then trailed off back to 70k.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone who uses Cyberghost vpn. A friend did tell me a certain site (p-bay), on their front page was advert for free, and unlimited vpn, which I may try, but I should not have too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jamie543
(regular) Tue 28-Oct-14 23:16:49
Print Post

I use VyperVPN on my Sky Fibre service and can max out my 40 meg speed with it. Are you defently sure its sky limiting you and not the new VPN company your using as a quick google using the word ghostvpn slow bring quite a few results

Standard User craggs
(committed) Wed 29-Oct-14 02:13:23
Print Post

[re: jamie543] [link to this post]

I use cyberghostvpn paid version and I Max out all the time with standard ADSL with sky.

Be Value 12mb was O2 Premium
Standard User chrispduck
(newbie) Wed 29-Oct-14 11:58:41
Print Post

[re: jamie543] [link to this post]

jamie543, It's the router or sky. The router worked fine using other vpn.

Doubt it is cyberghost, as only one pc goes through the vpn, so I let this run and do its stuff. Meanwhile the other pc that uses the same router and all are cabled not using wifi, but no vpn often does not even get ntp or resolve domain names, other times it works but it is just slow, and I'm not even using 35% of my normal bandwidth
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Oct-14 13:43:59
Print Post

So if the other computer is slow that is NOT using the VPN and the VPN is turned off probably suggests one or more of

1) Congestion at the exchange
2) Congestion on Sky backhaul
3) Line issues where modem is seeing lots of errors
4) The resolving domain names, have you considered changing DNS servers

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JonDav
(member) Wed 29-Oct-14 18:48:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrispduck:
Doubt it is cyberghost, as only one pc goes through the vpn,
It could be cyberghost if you are using their free VPN as that has a speed cap on it, but not as slow as in your post.

If cyberghost were going to cap speeds further than they claim, it would be the free VPN that would get reduced.

I use PIA but I am on Sky Fibre now.

However I had no issues at all using VPN when I was on Sky ADSL, sometimes using VPN on a few bits of kit at once.

Edited by JonDav (Wed 29-Oct-14 18:57:21)

Standard User chrispduck
(newbie) Wed 29-Oct-14 21:34:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

1,2&3 they checked the line and found no errors.

set the dns to googles 8's

Each time the VPN is disconnected, within a few minutes all starts to work again. also when starting, for about the first minute, all works ok too

I'm currently downloading at 450kB and uploading at 44kB and can't even watch youtube.

This chap reiterated that the Totally Unlimited broadband package does not support VPN. I asked for an email confirming this, and the way he sounded think someone further up the chain will be writing it.
Standard User chrispduck
(newbie) Wed 29-Oct-14 21:43:37
Print Post

[re: JonDav] [link to this post]

I'm on Cyberghost paid scheme

Thought about PIA, but being USA based, thought nah smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to