User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Sun 23-Nov-14 11:16:43
Print Post

Couple of questions

[link to this post]

Hello

I switched from SKY ADSL to Zen. I was hoping we would be getting FTTC soon and had heard such great things about ZEN.

However since switching whenever my phone rings my ADSL goes down, Im on engineer visit 8 now and have had no internet twice for 3 days at a time. Zen have been good and to be honest blame completely lies with Openreach engineers, but Im starting to regret switching and if its not fixed next week I think I have no choice. However I just have a couple of questions:

1. I would ideally like a fixed IP and this was one of the reasons for choosing ZEN. I have seen a Pro addon, is this only available to O2 customers who have been migrated?

2. Another reason for switching was I was told that FTTC would take longer to be available from SKY. How much truth is there in this? My exchange has had fibre for well over 12 months, its just my cab that doesn't.

3. How good is SKY Fibre? How does it compare with someone like ZEN?
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 12:51:09
Print Post

Re: Couple of questions

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

If your broadband is dropping on a phone call, it's a line fault and nothing to do with switching to Zen. If fibre is being installed it can mess up your broadband and connections. I and several others have had the same. If you tell Zen the symptoms, they should know the problem. BTO gear should tell the distance to any bad joints, so don't know what they have been doing.

Pulse8 Home Line Rental - Pulse8 XL Plus broadband.
http://www.pulse8broadband.co.uk/
Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Sun 23-Nov-14 12:54:13
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

I have told ZEN, and they have been trying to get Openreach to sort it.

I've had 8 engineer visits. ZEN believe its to do with faulty equipment handing the phone call over.

Because SKY was LLU they think the reason it didn't happen before was SKY would have used different equipment, they think its a fault in BT Wholesale equipment.

Edited by kingbiscit (Sun 23-Nov-14 14:17:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Nov-14 17:04:05
Print Post

The phone handling kit and some wiring in the exchange has changed, more likely to be wiring than the PSTN hardware failing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Sun 23-Nov-14 17:06:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just amazes me that after all these visits the problem is still there, I'll see what ZEN say on Monday.

Noticed before Andrews & Arnold do a data only phone line, tempted to give this a go.
Standard User nvHerman
(newbie) Sun 23-Nov-14 18:26:34
Print Post

Just for reference, it is likely to be correct that Sky would have taken longer to offer you Fibre Broadband once the cabinet is live: I am in the same situation, the only ISP that is unable to offer me Fibre is my current ISP, Sky.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Mon 24-Nov-14 13:06:47
Print Post

[re: nvHerman] [link to this post]

That's not strictly true. If Sky fibre is already available from other cabinets it should be available to any new cabinets that come online unless they need to have another cablelink installed at the exchange.

I only had to wait 1 day after my cabinet went live because it took around 24 hours for Sky's database to update.
Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Wed 26-Nov-14 16:18:15
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Simon194.

This was what I was hoping, I have tried a postcode on the same exchange as mine but already has FTTC and they can order from Sky.
  Print Thread

Jump to