User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Nov-14 23:39:12
Print Post

Sky retentions

[link to this post]

What's happened to sky retentions lately? I phoned up to cancel sky tv and broadband (now fibre is up) hoping for them to at least match the talktalk deal which includes sky sports, basic tv and fibre broadband for about £50/month. Sky is wanting £75/month (ish) for that.

To be fair Talktalk doesn't have HD I don't think so I was willing to go to £60/month, which they agreed to. I said I would phone back. Phoned back and accepted it but it turns out the other women had totally miscalculated it and it was actually going to be £82/month or something crazy.

All I'm really wanting is for them to match the talktalk deal (+£10/month for HD if required). It seems crazy.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:37:41
Print Post

Re: Sky retentions

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

TalkTalk is basement price, Sky positions itself as slightly more premium I guess.

You do get the Sky WiFi Clound too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Nov-14 08:44:57
Print Post

Best guess they've been required to consider actually making money over retaining customers, hence are not offering such deep discounts.

Playing price match with TalkTalk is usually a bad idea unless a complete bargain basement deal with the same content limitations.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Mon 24-Nov-14 09:47:03
Print Post

Similar for me, it was the quickest retention call I had to date, the retention person, "we can't compete with that". That was the most useful information in the call.

Kept TV package with SKY, but cheaper to split the package.

I would not say, Ive had a bad experience, I would recommend SKY, but then I would do the same for my previous communication providers.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Nov-14 12:55:41
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

It's just frustrating they're willing to discount normal broadband so much, they would've beat TalkTalk on that. However, as soon as you want to add fibre there just seems to be no discounts available. Looks like splitting the package is probably the way to go.
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Mon 24-Nov-14 19:19:12
Print Post

No offers available to us at all when we looked into it recently. The only "discount" was available if we upgraded our TV package to sports and movies. Big whoop!! Took the pplunge and am moving, no calls, texts, letters from Sky. Looks like they are glad we're leaving. Using Quidco I got the +Net package with £100 cashback. Would've stayed with them if we could have got our fibre at the same price.

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User whatever
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Nov-14 09:43:45
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

To match BT sky offered me free broadband for the year. However as I watch BTsport, it still worked out more expensive to stay, so I didn't.
Standard User JonDav
(committed) Mon 08-Dec-14 14:44:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
What's happened to sky retentions lately? I phoned up to cancel sky tv and broadband (now fibre is up) hoping for them to at least match the talktalk deal which includes sky sports, basic tv and fibre broadband for about £50/month. Sky is wanting £75/month (ish) for that.

To be fair Talktalk doesn't have HD I don't think so I was willing to go to £60/month, which they agreed to. I said I would phone back. Phoned back and accepted it but it turns out the other women had totally miscalculated it and it was actually going to be £82/month or something crazy.

All I'm really wanting is for them to match the talktalk deal (+£10/month for HD if required). It seems crazy.
Sky are getting smarter on retentions deals because they have finally clicked that lots will keep their package without any deal being offered.

In the past Sky gave you a deal (if you were out of contract) as soon as you said you wanted to cancel the TV element at least. Now Sky will let you cancel, and undoubtedly quite a few people buckle at this and backtrack on their supposed desire to cancel and decide they didn't actually want to cancel after all.

However if you call Sky's bluff and actually cancel Sky TV at least, Sky are likely to ring you within a few days of you cancelling and offer a deal.

Edited by JonDav (Mon 08-Dec-14 14:45:47)

Standard User JonDav
(committed) Mon 08-Dec-14 14:48:48
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NilSatisOptimum:
Kept TV package with SKY, but cheaper to split the package.
You should have cancelled your TV package, and (as in my previous post) Sky would have rung you within a few days of cancelling to offer you a deal on you re-ordering TV from them.
Standard User Nighty1973
(member) Mon 08-Dec-14 16:22:17
Print Post

[re: JonDav] [link to this post]

"However if you call Sky's bluff and actually cancel Sky TV at least, Sky are likely to ring you within a few days of you cancelling and offer a deal."

By which point you've had Virgin installed and no longer need any of Sky's services. smile

Sky tried calling me 4 times within the first 10 days after I called to cancel. Unfortunately, they kept calling during the day when I was at work and despite my wife telling them every time that they would have to call back in the evening (and the caller acknowledging that they would), they never did! They just called back in the day again. Way to lose customers Sky!

Whilst I agree that Sky have got wise(r) to this kind of practice, it's a risky game to play whichever side you are on. Brinksmanship at it's finest.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to