User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jbpf77
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 19:43:19
Print Post

Are Sky now throttling Usenet on Fibre?

[link to this post]

For the last few days my usually top-speed astraweb & blocknews download speeds have dropped by a quarter in the evenings.

I'm on Sky Fibre Unlimited which syncs at 39998 down, and used to get a solid 4.3 MB/s for every download. As of 5 days ago they've been around 2.8MB/s in the evenings. I've tried different ports and different providers, but everything usenet-related downloads at 2.8MB/s. My Router Stats haven't changed and neither has my PC setup or software. If I run a speed test during these times I get the usual speeds. Browsing speeds aren't affected.

Earlier this afternoon I tried a download and got 4.3MB/s again, so I thought the problem was sorted, but as of this evening, it's back to 2.8MB/s. This really feels like some kind of traffic management. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?
Standard User Nighty1973
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 21:44:12
Print Post

Re: Are Sky now throttling Usenet on Fibre?

[re: jbpf77] [link to this post]

Could be early signs of a capacity issue on your exchange. Pop your postcode into the following page and see if it says there is a known problem.

http://exchange-checker.sky.com/serviceupdates

If nothing is listed, it might be worth a call to report it to them. If it is a capacity/congestion issue, they will often compensate from when you report it once its fixed.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Jan-15 00:05:12
Print Post

No there is no traffic management or throttling. Any issues are usually local to your area i.e. you may have a number of users in your area torrenting 24/7 causing the slowdown.

You have to remember you do not have a 1 to 1 ratio with broadband, you effectively share one pipe with a tonne of people.

In regards to the slowdowns though, the most likely cause is WiFI. During an evening the neighbours come home, connect to their WiFi, fire up various wireless devices and it affects the speeds you get. Have you verified with a wired connection?

My WiFi speed slowed down drastically when next door arrived with a family of 6 and stuck their router on the same channel as mine. Every evening it would half the speed I got.

Again WiFI is a shared medium. Having multiple houses close together, all using WiFi at once, often on the same WiFI channel may cause slowdown.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 31-Jan-15 00:06:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jbpf77
(member) Sat 31-Jan-15 07:05:09
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies, I should have mentioned that I'm wired directly to the router which in turn is wired directly to the master socket. I've tried disconnecting everything except the pc and turning off wifi just in case another device is using bandwidth and it hasn't helped. I've run multiple antivirus checks but it's come back clean. Steam downloads aren't affected during these times. I've got the latest sky hub.

The exchange checker shows no problems and I suppose contention could be the issue, I live in a small town full of retirees so I'd say it was a slim possibility at best. I know it's far from scientific but there are only three other routers visible when searching for wifi at my house, so it's not exactly a high use area. Even so, how could I fix this if it is the problem, can sky help with this?

I was just about to sign up for fibre pro as my speed were so good and I've got good router stats, I thought I might as well take advantage, but I don't want to sign up for 18 months then find I only get 2/3rds of the speeds I should!
Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Jan-15 07:56:11
Print Post

Could just be the usenet server itself is busy

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jbpf77
(member) Sat 31-Jan-15 08:40:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Could be but I've tried Astraweb- and Readnews-based services at the same time with the same results. I'm going to phone sky today to see if they can take a look for me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Jan-15 08:56:27
Print Post

Maybe a pinch point in the network between them too, i.e. outside Sky network. Peering links can get congested as it might be a peer of peer that is the issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Jan-15 10:47:31
Print Post

Hmmmm.

It's not traffic management they would have declared it on their terms and conditions which they haven't. Sky can't just activate it and tell nobody.

No issues at my end so almost certainly congestion somewhere.

It's unlikely to affect a speed test as that often has multiple download streams at once to kind of mask congestion.

It could be at exchange level or if your area is small, your exchange is likely to be daisy chained to another exchange and eventually get to an almost main exchange. So the scope for users to be hammering their connections does increase.

In terms of resolving Sky virtually always increase the backhaul once a problem creeps in, although it's usually much worse than you're seeing before they do this. It also takes a fair few months.

Re getting fibre pro, it's the same backhaul so you would see similar speeds yes. Advice don't jump into the upgrade.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Jan-15 12:13:06
Print Post

Try testing a torrent. If they are throttling usenet (which I doubt) then it would be very likely they would be throttling bittorrent too.

Oliver.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Jan-15 19:27:06
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Don't think the WiFi nearby would half your speed. Surely it's more like congestion.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to