User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Wed 04-Feb-15 18:45:40
Print Post

Ex BeUnlimited: Sky port forwarding blocked?

[link to this post]

I am a Sky customer forcibly moved over from BeUnlimited a few months ago. I still have a static IP.

I have a software system (for info: v2.sdrspace.com) that uses a server on port 7999 on a machine connected to my connection at home. I (try to) connect into my own server from work or other places.

The router is a Thomson 575 V7, software version 8.2.7.7

I have set up port forwarding on this port correctly and it always worked with BeUnlmited.
Since my forced migration to Sky, my connection inbound no longer works. A port scan from a network utility website fails to even see the port on my router.

I tried disabling my router and PC firewalls to no avail.

Are Sky now blocking such inbound connections? Anything else I should be looking at?

I asked on Sky's own forums but didnt get a lot of response.

I've posted this in the technical forum as well.. don't normally cross-post but someone who doesnt look at Sky forums won't see this and it may not be ISP specific...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Feb-15 18:50:02
Print Post

Re: Ex BeUnlimited: Sky port forwarding blocked?

[re: Jim_AFCB] [link to this post]

No port forward blocking on Sky, suggestion is a duff configuration on the router. Pretty sure if port forwarding was blocked there would be a lot more moans from ex-Be and even Sky users where the UPnP hardware devices would also have lots of problems.

The speed touch range used to sometimes need the port forward AND the firewall rules tweaked accordingly

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Wed 04-Feb-15 19:11:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, Andrew.

Yes, it could be, but cant find anything in the firewall rules to change on that score.
I also disabled the firewall altogether, as well as the one on the PC in question, with no effect.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Feb-15 19:34:26
Print Post

http://v2.sdrspace.com/AddingAServer/Network.aspx

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Wed 04-Feb-15 19:43:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks Batboy.

I am familiar with the setup, as I am on the Beta test team for that software. And it always worked when I was with BeUnlimited. It does not work with Sky.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Feb-15 19:47:53
Print Post

Have you opted out of Sky Parental controls?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Wed 04-Feb-15 20:06:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes. I did check this as part of my investgations - Was never enabled, and is not enabled now.

I also double checked settings here - http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwardi...
Standard User Nighty1973
(member) Wed 04-Feb-15 23:38:03
Print Post

Sky's Broadband Shield can be a bit funny sometimes. If you've never enabled it, try enabling it and then disabling it again. It may just be something stuck at their end.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Feb-15 23:53:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jim_AFCB:
I also double checked settings here - http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwardi...

People used to have problems with these routers on BE being unable to reliably port forward; the user interface is not the best.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Fri 13-Feb-15 19:24:13
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Sky sent me a new router FOC, which solved the problem.
  Print Thread

Jump to