User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nine
(newbie) Fri 13-Feb-15 23:56:35
Print Post

router reboots

[link to this post]

hello

i was on be before sky brought them out and trasnferred ro sky. Eveythng on BE was good and now have problems.

i have a netgear router and i having to reboot upto twice a day. Example i was online and at 12am ish i had no internet but the router lights stay on after i do unplug reboot everythng works. The following day afternoon it went down again this time i left router on hopeing for it to fix itself while i went out again no net but router lights staying on. when i came home it didnt fix itself so a unplug reboot needed.

i did a 17070 line test all quiet. i called up sky and a tech support tested the line and looked at stats and said looks like i maybe have rein(repetitive electrical impact noise) on the line.

can anyone help me please?

thank you

Edited by nine (Sat 14-Feb-15 00:41:38)

Standard User supremetwo
(member) Sat 14-Feb-15 02:08:29
Print Post

Re: router reboots

[re: nine] [link to this post]

Did you get a Sky router when you transferred?

If so, try that.

If not, contact Sky and ask for it.

O2 Standard April 2009 - November 2013
Now Sky Broadband Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Feb-15 10:15:33
Print Post

REIN will not cause a router to reboot - it can cause the ADSL line to drop and resync.

What do the router stats actually show? Both during the day and at night.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nine
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 00:36:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

the router lights stay on but no internet until a unplug upto twice a day

sky said it was rein and to put it in test socket which i did for 2 days and i never unpluged it and couldnt see no issues with snr.

after 2 days i looked at my router now seeing snr issues should be around 3db going as low as 0.1db. i contacted them again and they said showing loads and i mean loads of errors. After another line test its now showing battery contact issue.

im not excatly sure what that is.

would that cause no net and router lights to stay on

thank you
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Feb-15 10:36:16
Print Post

Router lights being on is a difficult one to read. One presumes you mean you meant Internet (smiley face) is lit?

If you have a low target margin of 3dB normally, then it takes very little noise to cause an issue, a 6dB target would be more normal.

The battery contact basically means something is up with the line that may be causing the errors, but without seeing the full set of stats it is hard to say a lot more.

Noise can create so many errors that the Internet becomes unusable, but usually things like ping will get through now and then. Usually routers drop the connection and reconnect at a slower speed when this happens, so you get a drop out for a minute and then continue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nine
(newbie) Wed 18-Feb-15 00:12:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

here the stats now dont look that good

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 14962 kbps 1103 kbps
Line Attenuation 31.0 db 15.0 db
Noise Margin 0.7 db 4.5 db

i had my router lights stay on by that i mean all 4 green lights power light, ppp link light, internet wan light and wireless light.

All four of these lights would stay on but no connection until i did a unplug and it would carry on working.

sky said it was rein, then faceplates wiring and now they saying battery contact issue and for the low snr keep saying rest snr profile. i know it snr soes go up and down but this low.

please anymore help

thank you
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Feb-15 00:19:39
Print Post

Can you get a Sky Hub? Netgear routers are notorious for displaying low and flappy noise margins. In my experience anyway. MIne goes all the way to 0db whereas sky hub doesn't change from 6db.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Feb-15 12:58:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Netgear routers are notorious for displaying low and flappy noise margins.

I thought that was only true for the TI-AR7 based Netgears, which I found to be poor on ADSL2+ but have not been sold for a long time.

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to