User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MikeL
(member) Sat 28-Feb-15 13:00:03
Print Post

Own Router

[link to this post]

I have just used a program to sniff out my sky username and password as I am thinking about buying my own router. This is mostly for QoS (never used it) as I need certain computers to have more priority than others and also a guest network would be nice.

I followed the instructions at : http://www.dankross.co.uk/2014/11/use-router-sky-bro... is this all I have to do? I found some reference to getting around MER connections but the sky router seems to use PPPoA now again, so I don't need to bother?

I was thinking of using a custom firmware, probably OpenWRT I was reading something about dd-wrt but then people said its not updated anymore and its better to go with OpenWRT? Someone also mentioned a "Tomato" firmware I forget the name of. Is OpenWRT recommended?

Any recommendations on routers? I will probably be looking for a not too expensive OpenWRT supported model, I have seen this : TP-LINK TL-WDR3600, or any around £50-100, wireless speed isn't really that important. I only use regular Sky Broadband.

Edit - I see the TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 is a cable router, so no good for me on Sky broadband? OpenWRT support seems limited so may not use it.

Thanks

Edited by MikeL (Sat 28-Feb-15 13:51:16)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Feb-15 13:50:35
Print Post

Re: Own Router

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

If by standard broadband you mean ADSL2+ then the WDR3600 is the wrong model to buy, since it has no built in ADSL2+ modem.

The TD-W8970 has a built in ADSL2+ modem, but lacks dual band wireless of the WDR at £34

Dual band AC750 with ADSL2+ modem £59.99

Not checked their credentials in terms of custom firmware.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeL
(member) Sat 28-Feb-15 13:54:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

Yeah i must of noticed that just as you were posting, I'll just use the standard firmware of whatever router I get I think.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Feb-15 14:04:33
Print Post

If the £59.99 one does have the QoS in it then probably got most of what you need.

The extra speed of fibre services makes the custom firmware options more worthwhile, e.g. remote access to NAS. Those running custom firmware were probably those who left a small PC on 24/7 previously, i.e. the routers are now as powerful as an older full sized PC.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeL
(member) Sun 01-Mar-15 09:09:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

I got the TP-LINK TD-W8970 V3 for a bit over £35 with flubit, it had everything I need, QoS, guest network. 300mbps wireless seems good enough I think, not sure what the sr102 has?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 01-Mar-15 09:39:30
Print Post

The SR102 has a VDSL2 modem but the W8970 is only an ADSL modem, not that that matters as you're on ADSL wink

It's cheaper than Flubit here http://www.dabs.com/products/tp-link-td-w8970-v3-300...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 01-Mar-15 09:51:03)

Standard User MikeL
(member) Tue 03-Mar-15 09:27:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeah, I'm going to keep the Sky router and gigabit switch I have, we tried to get fibre but our fibre cabinet is so far away it eventually was worse than ADSL, at the start it was about 1-1.5mb higher connection speed, then kept coming down - though I'm not sure if we had it before or after our line was fixed, we were getting a lot of disconnections because the wire to house was faulty. I think there's a vdsl + asdl router for about £80 I might get if we ever got a cabinet put closer to us.

Theres always somewhere cheaper, doh! Flubit will probably order it from dabs, might make a profit for a change, sometimes the items they send me cost more than the original amazon price, not sure how they do it.
  Print Thread

Jump to