User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User leeandchantal
(learned) Tue 10-Mar-15 18:19:37
Print Post

SKY Fibre help

[link to this post]

My cabinet is now enabled, according to BT and numerous other sites I can get 76-80mb, but when ordering with sky it only says 40mb. Will this mean this is the maximum I can get with SKY, or is it just a estimate. The fibre box is 20meters maximum away from my house. Any help or advice before I order would be appreciated.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Mar-15 18:56:36
Print Post

Re: SKY Fibre help

[re: leeandchantal] [link to this post]

normally with sky you order the 40M option on the web site and then later use the phone to upgrade/order 80M. Just skip a phase and ring customer FTTC BB sales and order the 80M direct. So long as the exchange checker shows 80M for your telephone line or specific house address you should be ok for 80M.

that said I just use 40m for a house with lots of family members, gadgets & different download services. I see no current need to spend the extra £10/mth for capacity I would just not use ( currently smile ).

IanD
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Mar-15 19:01:00
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

If phoning means you miss out on an attractive offer try and negotiate it into the deal and get this confirmed. Sky sales are usually good at going back over what the actual charges will be.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shergar
(member) Sat 21-Mar-15 14:32:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've just been through this. For some bizarre reason my Sky online account would not let me upgrade to Fibre. I wanted the Fibre Pro option, which online said £10 a month off for 12 months. I had to phone them as that was the only way I could then get Fibre. But, they would only give me 6 months at £10 off. After a bit of moaning, they gave me an additional £60 credit to my account and waived the £30 connection fee! So I actually gained, but just be careful of any offers online as they don't apply to phoned set ups.
(learned) Fri 27-Mar-15 18:39:34
Print Post

[re: shergar] [link to this post]

I'm back again ! I have the fibre unlimited installed now and very happy with it, I want to upgrade to the fibre pro now, will there be a fee to upgrade? It says £30 on site, but I'm assuming that's for new connections. If anyone has gone through the process, would be great to know. I'd rather have a free upgrade, but if I have too, I'll pay the £30.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Mar-15 20:49:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by leeandchantal:
I'm back again ! I have the fibre unlimited installed now and very happy with it, I want to upgrade to the fibre pro now, will there be a fee to upgrade? It says £30 on site, but I'm assuming that's for new connections. If anyone has gone through the process, would be great to know. I'd rather have a free upgrade, but if I have too, I'll pay the £30.

Years ago I got through to the Sky Customer Solutions Team and upgraded to Fibre Pro. It was free for me and the upgrade happened almost instantly. If you just get through to basic customer service it may take longer.

Be aware you will not see the 80Mbps over WiFi with the Sky Hub. You will need to ethernet.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Mar-15 21:49:40
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Be aware you will not see the 80Mbps over WiFi with the Sky Hub. You will need to ethernet.

If you're getting good speeds on Pro with ethernet, its often worth investing in an access point (or a cheap router in access point mode) to improve wireless. I've helped Sky customers do this even on ADSL2.

One day Sky will provide a router with 3 stream dual band N and/or AC to compete with BT and Virgin Media.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
(learned) Sat 28-Mar-15 09:18:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Cheers for the replies, I don't use wifi, my router is next to my pc and PS4. I have read the stories about poor wifi signals/speeds, thankfully it's only the kids tablets attached to wifi.
I was thinking about buying a new router, if I was to upgrade.
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 28-Mar-15 09:41:19
Print Post

IN my experiance the Sky Hub is actually a good wireless router though its not as super charged as the opposition the WiFi coverage seems a lot better and more stable...

If its only for kids tablets then I don't think you need to worry about upgrading it..

Also note that Sky don't allow people to use their own kit with Sky Broadband services and setting something up to work with Sky is tricky...

If you do want to use your own kit then I'm sure someone on here could possibly help you set it up but I would stick with the Hub if you don't require much.

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Mar-15 09:45:56
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Also note that Sky don't allow people to use their own kit with Sky Broadband services and setting something up to work with Sky is tricky...

My friends who have wifi problems with the sky router, just plugged in another box via ethernet and left the Sky router in place. That stops any problems with Sky smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to