User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 30-Mar-15 11:54:19
Print Post

Re: Sky's DLM keeps setting an unstable 3db profile

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Sky sets 2.5mb as the maximum upstream as they where supposed to be implementing Annex M onto the LLU network around the UK...

However AFAIK it isn't currently activated on any lines or exchange equipment.

Sounds like a hardware issue, might be worth getting Sky to send another Sky Hub or source another router or modem that is known to work well on long lines (Though that can be tricky)

Hi, I have had 2 brand new sky hubs and it does the same when DLM kicks in, DLM sets to 2.5mb upload.

As it goes this be router actually hold sync at a lower dB than the sky.

sky llu
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 30-Mar-15 11:59:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The freezing of the router happened during the line being set correctly to the 1.2 upload. When manual DLM was set by tech.

I think it was just out cannot handle so many WiFi confections and LAN connections at once, but the be router had been fine since swapping it over.

sky llu
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 30-Mar-15 12:05:59
Print Post

[re: craggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craggs:
Hi, I have had 2 brand new sky hubs and it does the same when DLM kicks in, DLM sets to 2.5mb upload.

As it goes this be router actually hold sync at a lower dB than the sky.

When I was with Sky on a 5km line my profile for upload was set to 2.5mbps too but obviously wouldn't get anywhere near that..

from the stats you provided it don't look like Annex M is enabled on your line.

When you say the BeBox holds the SNR better than Sky you mean it can drop lower than Sky Hub and stay connected... if so how low?

Theoretically you want to resent your router in the evening so that the SNR stays at around 3 or above throughout the day... this should stop any dropping of the connection...

If you resent it in the morning you will get more speed but as the day progresses and connections get busier you will find the SNR dipping too low and the modem resenting to get a better connection.

If the connection is dropping regardless of when the line is resysnced then Sky need to arrange Openreach to visit and have a look at the line as it may have an intermittent issue causing your SNR to drop too low for successful sync

When you have a 6db SNR your line may still have same issue but might have enough space to stay connected.

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Mar-15 12:33:55
Print Post

[re: craggs] [link to this post]

No G.992.5 is plain old ADSL2+

What are the stats when you have the mythical 2.5 Mbps upload set?

Lots of hardware does not cope well with Annex M and Be were one of the few to get it working reasonably well, the limited number of DSLAMs and people sticking with Be hardware for CPE helped a lot. Some older ADSL2+ does not even sync at all if Annex M is enabled.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Mar-15 12:48:21
Print Post

Intriguingly, the My Sky control panel said "your upload is set to 2.5 meg" when I was with them, even though it was syncing around 1.2 meg. I wondered if it was an indication of impending Annex M, but since I wasn't on Pro it seemed somewhat odd.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Mar-15 15:26:02
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I'd rather trust the modes as reported by the modem than a portal written by someone with no idea what all the terms mean.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Mar-15 17:19:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I'd rather trust the modes as reported by the modem than a portal written by someone with no idea what all the terms mean.

But My Sky previously said 1.3 meg, so someone made a conscious decision to alter it, and I doubt such thing can be made on a whim. Perhaps the change was only meant to be applied to Pro accounts in preparation for Annex M, but was mistakenly applied to all accounts.

It would be nice to get some official statement from Sky as to why My Sky was altered in such a way (if indeed it still shows 2.5 meg).

Oliver.
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 30-Mar-15 18:04:50
Print Post

How long have you been a Sky BB customer, 1.3mb is still more than your current speed and when I was with Sky a while back mine used to say 1.3mb but only got 0.8mb.

It was the old default value for Sky, So Sky might of just updated your account to a newer configuration or something...

It's nothing to be worried about.

Sky's forums would be the best place for that or contact them by email direct but I doubt they will take much notice as it's not going to impact service.

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Mar-15 18:14:53
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
It's nothing to be worried about.

I spent 4 years with Sky but I'm not with them anymore. I was not worried about it but I was curious as to whether the 2.5 meg upload speed in My Sky was a sign of something to come, but it was never officially answered by anyone.

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Mar-15 18:25:21
Print Post

For the sake of clarity, my line was not set to Annex M on Sky, and so My Sky was incorrect in the 2.5 meg upload speed quoted, since that is impossible to achieve on plain ADSL2+. Also I don't think Sky have ever officially publicly stated that Annex M will be introduced, although that would be a natural addition to the Pro feature set (as an optional profile).

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to