User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stephen79
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-May-15 23:11:00
Print Post

Migrating from BT

[link to this post]

I'm moving to sky fiber from BT Infinity and today is my activation date. I'm still connected via BT and if I plug in the black sky hub directly to the rj11 (seems from reading online that you dont need the openreach modem now despite the troubleshooting/setup guide showing a connection via) the Internet light does stay solid, but it`s amber which suggests that I'm not authenticating yet.

Is it usual for a sky activation to not have happened at this time of night on the day of activation? I'm a bit worried that my BT account will expire/disconnect at midnight and i'll be left with no Internet for the weekend.

BTInternet
Standard User stephen79
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-May-15 23:26:26
Print Post

Re: Migrating from BT

[re: stephen79] [link to this post]

As if by magic, my BT connection dropped, I switched over to the black up and was back online all within 3-4 mins. That`s a very impressive start!

BTInternet
Standard User ste211270
(regular) Fri 08-May-15 23:38:58
Print Post

let us know how you get on would be interested to know how your speeds are doing . im due to move from Bt to sky myself

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stephen79
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-May-15 00:01:32
Print Post

[re: ste211270] [link to this post]

I was on the 80/20 Infinity2 package and would get 80/10 when wired via their homehub3 and about 40/10 when over wifi.

I've moved to sky on the 40/10 package (actually meant to sign up for the 80meg package) and this router lets you see the stats. I'm connected at full speed.

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):9995
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):39998

However, this router is absolute muck. Wired I'll get the full speed, but on a surface pro2 sat next to the hub am getting 20meg. Really disappointed with the hub, it feels sluggish compared to the BT HH3 which I wasnt overly impressed with.

Speed Test

BTInternet
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 09-May-15 08:27:03
Print Post

As you have the Openreach modem, you can choose a router that supports Sky's quirky logon system and get much better results.

Remember to change your sig wink

____________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance_
  Print Thread

Jump to