User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Sun 10-May-15 08:41:44
Print Post

Very slow unbundled sky connection

[link to this post]

Hello, I'm having a bit of bother with my unbundled Sky connection. No fibre here yet sadly as I'm on an EO line. I get sunc of around 15400 down and 1400 up.

Trouble is, I get a lot of buffering on the likes of you tube and the connection isn't being hammered, web pages take an age to load and sometimes they just don't, all in all, not a great experience.

I also have a second line (business) which has broadband from Zen. As BT have never offered adsl 2 at our exchange, this connection syncs at 8128 down and 448 up. It always goes at full tilt and is frequently quicker than the adsl2 from Sky. I have spoken to sky who tell me there is no problem and all is,fine, but it just isn't so.

Does anyone have any thought on what the issue might be? Am 6 months into contract and would love to tell them where to shove this sorry excuse for a service. When it works well, it downloads at 1.4mbps, but thats not very often. I have two wifi networks here, one for sky and one for zen. Channels in use are 1 and 12. Problems with sky are either on cable or,wireless, it doesn't matter. The sky set up has had the filter changed and it connects directly into my test socket - no extensions. Ping time for my son when he's gaming can spike to over 900ms too making it unusable for gaming.

In general how do people find sky adsl2? Is it just me having these issues as sky would have me believe? Even reset my router and trying different browsers doesn't help. In any case, when I connect my network to my zen connection, it works fine.......

Any thoughts would be great to hear or if further info required, please ask as I'm really at the end of my tether with this now, too many calls to people at sky who,really don't listen beyond their trouble shooting guide..........
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-May-15 10:32:00
Print Post

Re: Very slow unbundled sky connection

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

I hope you have the units wrong, as if you think a 15400 kbps sync downloading at 1.4mbps is good then something is wrong. Presume you meant 1.4 MB/sec i.e. ~12 Mbps

Sky ADSL2+ should be performing a lot better than what you are experiencing. If it is like this 24/7 then probably the line or the set-up in your home. Or the simple way is to do a speed test ( http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html ) every two or three hours for a day, and post the collection of results links

Another bit of info would be a copy of the line stats from the Sky line (sync speed, attenuation and noise margins) and the Zen one for comparison

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-May-15 10:47:31
Print Post

Re: Very slow unbundled sky connection

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

Can you get us stats from the router

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/content/199-how-get-y...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to