User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 06:23:39
Print Post

Sky down?

[link to this post]

Anyone notice lastnight around 1am or just after Sky LLU go down?
It went down for me for about 30 minutes, router stayed synced to the exchange entire time.
Standard User ip75
(learned) Tue 12-May-15 09:24:02
Print Post

Re: Sky down?

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

According to my BQM graph the network was down for me for a short period around 2am (on Sky FIbre rather than LLU):

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/cd2bc74d54e...

I've seen this happen once or twice before - I assume it's network maintenance of some kind.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 18:11:47
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

That could have been the time mine went down not sure. Thanks for the info tho I'm sure it was just a small glitch or network maintenance.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Wed 13-May-15 12:21:09
Print Post

it happened to me also I am on A&A and on TalkTalk LLU I believe it was a BT PEW.

Mine was down from 12-1 I just noticed with some packet loss a few hours later.

http://prntscr.com/74pb16

Edited by AAuser27 (Wed 13-May-15 12:22:47)

Standard User Enceladus
(member) Wed 13-May-15 21:44:16
Print Post

Mine went down at about 01:20am this morning (13th May) and did not come back into service until about 02:50am. I have Sky FTTC 40Mbps (supposedly unlimited) and Sky phone. The Openreach modem had all greens except for LAN2 which was off. Powered the modem off and on made no difference, The Sky SR101 hub remained synced until I pressed the disconnect button in the menu after several cold starts failed to get reconnected. However doing so turned the light to orange on the front of the router. Subsequent attempts to connect all failed.

For about 50% of the time the phone will go out as well. No dial tone. This morning the phone was out for about 40 mins or so. It's never off as long as the BB.

Now I have had this happen maybe twice a month for 2 years. Always after midnight, typically 01:00am. At first it was an irritation that lasted about 15-30 mins. But this time it was down for around 90 minutes. The exchange is Albert Dock, London. The loss of dialtone for extended periods triggers a warning from the Telecare alarm which wakes everybody up. So this is now gone beyond a joke.

Of course all attempts at tech support get nowhere. They are either closed when the problem happens or the service is working when I get through to somebody sensible. It requires some persistence to get through to somebody who knows what they are doing. On the plus side they seem to speak English.

I am always told that there is no outages shown on their monitoring system and the problem must lie with my wiring or equipment. I have been sent a filter dongle when I have the latest version Openreach faceplate and also a new RJ11 cable. Took over a week to get here and absolutely of no use..

I also suspect this is to with network maintenance by Sky and or BT Openreach.

Any ideas?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-May-15 01:27:35
Print Post

[re: Enceladus] [link to this post]

I've had this once or twice before too... In the 8 or so years I've had Sky that's acceptable. This is where I have Sync but no internet. The router shows it as connected (but it's not working to load websites).

I've never had the dial tone fail when the BB goes down though. I think your issue sounds like a genuine fault somewhere.

If it's happening once or twice a month something is seriously wrong.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Thu 14-May-15 10:03:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Enceladus:
Now I have had this happen maybe twice a month for 2 years. Always after midnight, typically 01:00am. At first it was an irritation that lasted about 15-30 mins. But this time it was down for around 90 minutes. The exchange is Albert Dock, London. The loss of dialtone for extended periods triggers a warning from the Telecare alarm which wakes everybody up. So this is now gone beyond a joke.

I would personally never have an alarm plugged into a LLU based providers line, especially considering that it will activate if there is ever a snitch of power drop in the line.
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sat 23-May-15 17:43:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Enceladus:
Mine went down at about 01:20am this morning (13th May) and did not come back into service until about 02:50am. I have Sky FTTC 40Mbps (supposedly unlimited) and Sky phone. The Openreach modem had all greens except for LAN2 which was off. Powered the modem off and on made no difference, The Sky SR101 hub remained synced until I pressed the disconnect button in the menu after several cold starts failed to get reconnected. However doing so turned the light to orange on the front of the router. Subsequent attempts to connect all failed.

For about 50% of the time the phone will go out as well. No dial tone. This morning the phone was out for about 40 mins or so. It's never off as long as the BB.

Of course all attempts at tech support get nowhere. They are either closed when the problem happens or the service is working when I get through to somebody sensible. It requires some persistence to get through to somebody who knows what they are doing. On the plus side they seem to speak English.

I am always told that there is no outages shown on their monitoring system and the problem must lie with my wiring or equipment. I have been sent a filter dongle when I have the latest version Openreach faceplate and also a new RJ11 cable. Took over a week to get here and absolutely of no use..

I also suspect this is to with network maintenance by Sky and or BT Openreach.

Any ideas?

Sky is totally unlimited, not supposedly.

You obviously have a line fault, if your dial tone is absent when your broadband goes down.

Phone BT and report a line fault, they'll come out and fix your line......

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-May-15 18:15:15
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dave2150:
Phone BT and report a line fault, they'll come out and fix your line......
You report the fault to whoever you pay phone line rental to for a fault affecting voice calls, and whoever you pay for broadband service for a broadband only fault.

In almost all cases, Sky customers pay Sky for voice and broadband, in which case the fault should be reported to Sky.

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sun 24-May-15 14:54:49
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

Hi, Just an aside.
I'm with BT and use the internet between 9pm-3am most nights, and I have never had an "outage" during that period that I can remember. The reason I put my two pennorth in, is that I too am on the Albert Dock E16 exchange - I live in Beckton. That being said, it seems likely that the problem revolves around the OP's home equipment/external cabling (wherever) or Sky issues - and not the Albert Dock exchange itself. Chase Sky a bit harder seems the only answer.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to