User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Mon 31-Aug-15 11:03:23
Print Post

New Fibre Install - Sky modem

[link to this post]

Can someone tell me whic router Sky supply for new fibre subscribers? Is this a pure router which only accepts PPoE from the BT supplied modem, or do they currently supply an all-in-one modem/router box?

This will be on a new install - I think there's an existing phone line which requires re-connection, but otherwise there's no existing broadband of any variety
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-15 11:09:59
Print Post

Re: New Fibre Install - Sky modem

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Tacitus:
do they currently supply an all-in-one modem/router box?

SR 102 all in one - end user does self install like ADSL with micro filters.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-15 11:10:58
Print Post

All-in-one: http://www.trustedreviews.com/sky-hub-2013-review

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Mon 31-Aug-15 11:36:19
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link. Doesn't strike me as one of the best boxes around - single band wireless and no gigabit ethernet doesn't really cut it.

I don't know if one the 'range boosters' will come with it, but I'm thinking a Powerline dLan kit - Devolo/Netgear etc - might offer a useful improvement, as the telephone socket is well away from where the computer will be.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-15 11:47:01
Print Post

Thanks for the link. Doesn't strike me as one of the best boxes around - single band wireless and no gigabit ethernet doesn't really cut it.

Its pretty amazingly awful compared to the competition. My friends who are on Sky have all turned off the WiFi and fitted another box (TPLink are cheap) with dual band N and Gigabit ethernet ports alongside.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Mon 31-Aug-15 12:07:26
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Its pretty amazingly awful compared to the competition.
Sums it up pretty well smile I'd be OK with transferring the sign-on details and stuff to another router, but I'm inclined to think Powerline plugs might offer an easier solution. They are more or less completely non-techie, so plug n'play is pretty much what they want.

Also I imagine that Sky set it up for remote troubleshooting, which would mean they have to swap routers in the event of a fault.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-15 12:12:13
Print Post

I don't know if one the 'range boosters' will come with it, but I'm thinking a Powerline dLan kit - Devolo/Netgear etc - might offer a useful improvement, as the telephone socket is well away from where the computer will be.

It doesn't come with a range booster, but it's 2.4 Ghz which generally has decent range compared to 5 Ghz, depending on local wifi congestion. Both powerline and range boosters are decent options for extending coverage.

Oliver.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Mon 31-Aug-15 13:57:02
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Thanks for the tip, but I think they may be in a fairly congested area. Probably best to wait and see. Anyone any experience with any of the Powerline kits? Devolo appear to have a decent reputation but I'm open to suggestions.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Aug-15 17:00:07
Print Post

In terms of reliable and do the job Devolo are generally the best

Kits like Wi-Fi Starter Kit £63 gives you Ethernet socket at the remote location plus a wireless access point.

As a rule for FTTC type speeds you want the 500 Mbps or faster rated Home Plug kit.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Mon 31-Aug-15 18:35:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As a rule for FTTC type speeds you want the 500 Mbps or faster rated Home Plug kit.
Thanks Andrew, I was thinking that if they did have them, Gigabit ethernet would be the way to go.

I'll see how they get on with the basic kit first before I suggest something else - as I say they're definitely not 'techie' minded.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to