User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fireants
(member) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:44:07
Print Post

Renewing contract

[link to this post]

My £16 all in contact for Sky landline and internet expires soon and the cost is going to rise to £26 per month....has anyone in a similar position managed to negotiate a reduction? Service is fine and as usual I don't want to go through the rigmarole of changing ISP. Thanks!
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 20:54:21
Print Post

Re: Renewing contract

[re: fireants] [link to this post]

Sky always seem to be up for a discount though you may have to ring a few times. I think their retention team have quotas so you just need to get the right guy at the right time.
Currently I get landline and adsl plus anytime calls and the basic tv package with documentaries and kids bolted on for £32 per month.

Line rental is changing soon however. Off the top of my head it will include calls to mobiles but cost about £3 per month more.
Standard User Skilty
(regular) Mon 12-Oct-15 10:32:43
Print Post

[re: SteelArt] [link to this post]

See the increases here:

Sky Price Increases

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC) > Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited. 15ms Ping, Sync ~ 68.93/18.83Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fireants
(member) Mon 12-Oct-15 18:34:16
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link skilty..not looking too good really, although the Post office deal at the bottom of the linked discussion is quite cheap, but is it cheerful?
Standard User Skilty
(regular) Mon 12-Oct-15 18:51:51
Print Post

The problem is that there is not much money to be made in voice these days. I tend to use my mobile as my main line so GEA really does appeal to me when BT finally get the green light to do it.

Currently on Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited and got a stonking deal but have started to get itchy feet as we always seem to get slow down around 8pm.

I know it isn't the router as it is an Asus RT-AC87U so it has plenty of oomph.

Have a SamKnows box and it does show that we drop from 65mb down to 47mb at that time most nights.

I was thinking about heading back to BT for Line, Phone, Fibre and TV!

You could combine the Post Office line rental with someone like Zen or PlusNet but they do charge you for the privilege. Also remember BT, Zen and Sky only lock you in for 12 months, PlusNet is 18 months...

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC) > Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited. 15ms Ping, Sync ~ 68.93/18.83Mbps
Standard User fireants
(member) Mon 12-Oct-15 19:30:59
Print Post

Very comprehensive advice, cheers. Useful background to negotiations.
I'll see what I get out of the renewals guys at Sky and report back..
Standard User fireants
(member) Mon 12-Oct-15 19:33:49
Print Post

...and one needs to watch these free for 12 month contracts which tie you in for 18 months-doesn't always work out cheap eh?
Standard User Nervous
(experienced) Fri 16-Oct-15 09:59:35
Print Post

My last one was in April 2015 and I always get a deal or leave.

I get 40/10 fibre unlimited for £7 a month plus LR (12 Months Contract)

The previous year I got the same for £10 a month plus LR (12 Months Contract)

I insist on a deal for broadband as I know they use LR as a subsidy.

I switched a friend from Sky unlimited ADSL to unlimited fibre 40/10 and she now pays £7 a month for 12 months and full price for 6 months plus LR.

You must always approach them with WHY you are prepared to leave and qoute the offer and company you are considering switching too.

I fear the new switching scheme, where you have no need to contact Sky may make all this more difficult in the future.

Another thing to consider is that Sky have just been flogged on BBC Watchdog for making it difficult to leave and constantly making retention offers which of course is how we get these deals in the first place.

Edited by Nervous (Fri 16-Oct-15 10:03:56)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Oct-15 11:44:34
Print Post

[re: Nervous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nervous:
I fear the new switching scheme, where you have no need to contact Sky may make all this more difficult in the future.

You have had no need to contact Sky for years, migrations involving MPF have been gaining provider led for a long time now, the recent change only affects WLR3 to WLR3 migrations.

Oliver.
Standard User Skilty
(regular) Fri 16-Oct-15 11:50:16
Print Post

[re: Nervous] [link to this post]

The easiest example is if you go with BT. You can get Line Rental, Infinity 2, Anytime UK calls, Entertainment Ultra HD including BT Sport and a 1TB YV box for £71 a month. Quote Sky that price and they will normally match it or beat it. If they can't ring back 10 minutes later smile

I quoted them £76 for my BT multi-screen offer back in April this year so Sky did everything for £63 a month on a 12 month contract including Sky Fibre Pro.

Having said that we seem to be suffering from exchange congestion as my bandwidth drops to 45mb in the evening with Sky at the moment frown

Toying with the idea with a switch to BT as they have some good offers and I have an option to cancel my contract due to the LR and call package price increases.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to