User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User synapse321
(newbie) Sat 24-Oct-15 12:32:55
Print Post

HUB resync

[link to this post]

Hi

I am a sky customer on ordinary ADSL 2+ I believe.

There was some crackle noise on the line whch the BT engineer apparently fixed.

However, the adsl connection drops after approx 72 hrs and resets.

Am I clutching at straws that the line should be permanently connected after days/ hours and not drop the connection for at least 10 days for eg or do I just have to live with it droppping frequently like one of the BT engineers commented?

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 214718 342489 0 0 0 15:20:54
LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
WLAN Up 4328644 2739196 0 0 2 101:40:52
Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 13835 kbps 1023 kbps
Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 22.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 12.12 dB

Regards
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 24-Oct-15 12:36:05
Print Post

Re: HUB resync

[re: synapse321] [link to this post]

ADSL was designed to cope with bursts of noise and reconnect if this happens, so a resync every three days while annoying is a long way from a fault.

Usual ISP answer to this around the globe will be to slow you down and create more margin for error, so that the drops are less frequent.

If the drops happen at the same time, then find out what in the home is turning on or off at that time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User synapse321
(newbie) Sat 24-Oct-15 20:26:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I did ask Sky to lower the line speed which they were reluctant to do at first.

After a day or so the line speed automatically went back up to where it was before. Sky said this would happen so no luck there.

A friend of mine had syncs for 10 days or so without the connection dropping with Utiity Warehouse.

When I spoke to ZEN they were under the impression that if I moved over their equipment would be superior leading to less drop outs.

I doubt the above as it is ultimately down to Open Reach is it not?

Regards

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 24-Oct-15 23:28:51
Print Post

Depends different wholesale systems use different ways to control the line with regards to ADSL2+, different with FTTC based connections

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User synapse321
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-15 10:16:39
Print Post

Would you say fibre connections are more robust and stable compared to ADSL 2+?

Regards
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Oct-15 11:31:58
Print Post

Generally yes. based on reduced volume of moans about resyncs compared to the 2008-2010 era when ADSL2+ take-up was increasing rapidly

Standard User synapse321
(newbie) Sun 25-Oct-15 18:17:44
Print Post

One of the BT engineers who came out ( I think he was termed a level 4 engineer or something along those lines) he stated that the previous owner was probably on fibre judging by the face plate and that fibre can sometimes lead to drop outs.

To be honest I had little faith in BT engineers. Some are ok but the majority take the mickey.

The last one spend the next 3 hours at the exchange fixing the problem to no avail.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Oct-15 18:32:08
Print Post

What the person had previously has no bearing on your current drop outs, and as FTTC is usually a lot less copper generally less scope for interference causing drop outs, but impossible to say one way or the other for a specific line without trying it for a longish period of time.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 25-Oct-15 22:13:40
Print Post

on adsl different providers can have different stability this is because LLU providers have their own dslams and as such may run not only with different chipsets but also a different configuration can lead to better or worse stability. My personal experience is if you on adsl look for a provider who has no DLM for better stability, DLM tends to make things worse.

On FTTC, all providers in the uk use a openreach cabinet dslam and as such stability only depends on the DLM profile, with most isp's I expect on the speed profile but at least two I am aware of use the standard profile, there is also a stable profile. The profile controls the level of instability required for DLM to intervene.

I woudl think for the vast majority of people FTTC will be more stable than adsl for 2 prime reasons.

VDSL is newer tech than ADSL so that alone should lead to stability improvements with the protocol been more modern. Second VDSL removes the E side copper out of the equation so only the D side can cause problems. Generally this should mean a shorter line for broadband purposes and more stability/speed. In my case the E side made adsl extremely unstable without SRA, and so on FTTC those issues are a thing of the past.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User synapse321
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-15 20:07:47
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

What I don't understand with FTTC, the service delivers up to 38 Mbps downstream is there a possiblity they may be able to increase this figure any further or is the FTTC technology maxed out to only 38 Mbps with no techonlogical option to increase it further? Whereas with FTTP speeds over 300 Mbps are achievable.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to