User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FlamingDazzler
(newbie) Tue 09-Feb-16 09:11:43
Print Post

Potential fault - who owns the router/modem?

[link to this post]

Hi. I seemingly have a fault on my line (FTTC 40/20) where my speed will initially be close to the 40Mbps maximum but over a couple of days will drop to below 30. I reboot the modem and it's fine again for a couple of days but then drops again.

Sky can't see any problems on my line remotely - the line is stable and experiences no disconnections.

I have a separate OR VDSL modem and an original Sky hub (which I don't use). Sky's first suggestion was to replace them both with a new all-in-one hub but they wanted to charge me £30 for it. I politely declined as I don't see why I should pay to fix a fault so they are sending OR around this week to check the line.

Having thought about this some more, I believe that OR still own the VDSL modem, am I right? So, if that is at fault then OR should be replacing it.

Also, although I don't use it, do Sky still own the hub? I don't remember having to purchase it (except for delivery maybe), but is it the same as the Sky TV box where I own it after a year?

Thanks.

Edited by FlamingDazzler (Tue 09-Feb-16 11:24:45)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-16 12:31:01
Print Post

Re: Potential fault - who owns the router/modem?

[re: FlamingDazzler] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FlamingDazzler:
Having thought about this some more, I believe that OR still own the VDSL modem, am I right? So, if that is at fault then OR should be replacing it.

Seems like a grey area. Tons of people have sold their Openreach modems on Ebay, so they at least must assume it belongs to them.

In reply to a post by FlamingDazzler:
Also, although I don't use it, do Sky still own the hub? I don't remember having to purchase it (except for delivery maybe), but is it the same as the Sky TV box where I own it after a year?

Yes, the Hub is your property, under guarantee for a year.

Oliver.
(newbie) Tue 09-Feb-16 13:05:12
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Thanks Oliver. It seems more likely to be a problem on the line anyway. I will see what the OR visit turns up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 09-Feb-16 14:44:15
Print Post

Did they notify you of a Openreach charge to investigate your issue? They would only send an engineer FOC if they detect an issue on the line, otherwise you're going to get hit with a charge from them.
(newbie) Tue 09-Feb-16 14:47:47
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

Been assured that there would be no charge regardless of a fault being found or not. He told me that is Sky's policy but don't know if that's true. Certainly when I was with O2 I had about five OR visits to track down a fault, no one ever found anything but I never got hit with a charge.

[Edited to add]Also, I've been told in the past that their remote fault finding system isn't worth jack so you couldn't rely on it to prove a fault anyway. It needs a line check in person. Again, don't know how true that is.

Edited by FlamingDazzler (Tue 09-Feb-16 19:16:21)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Feb-16 19:14:57
Print Post

for the sky router, you own it, so long as you are out of your 12 or 18mth period.

For the sky q service that is just about to go on sale it looks like you are renting the router and do not own it.

IanD
Standard User burble
(regular) Tue 09-Feb-16 20:20:42
Print Post

How far are you from the cabinet?
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Tue 09-Feb-16 20:34:02
Print Post

I turned it around with Sky with their HD box, should work with their router too. Because the router can only be used with a Sky system and the router is made specifically for them, Sky are classed as the manufacturer. Under your statutory rights (sale of goods act as amended), you have a right for an item to work for a reasonable amount of time. So long as it isn't wear and tear, you should be able to get them to take responsibililty for any fault that occurs.

Mark

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
(newbie) Tue 09-Feb-16 20:46:34
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

Thanks, I did the same thing with my Sky box recently that packed up after ~18 months.

To give some background on the actual fault; I'm about 300m from the cab as the crow flies. Always got max speed in the two years or so I've had FTTC. The gradual speed drops have been happening for a few weeks. I've been running with nothing else connected to the phone line except the OR modem plugged into my test socket with a microfilter so fairly sure it's not on my side. The dude at Sky accepted from my speed stats that there's something wrong but couldn't see anything wrong with the line, so the suggestion of replacing the router/modem (at my expense, although he offered it at £30, reduced from £70) was a shot in the dark. That's why I declined, if it could be proven that would fix it I might consider it. So, his next suggestion (not mine) was to send OR.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-16 21:15:51
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
for the sky router, you own it, so long as you are out of your 12 or 18mth period.

The Sky Hub becomes the customer's property on delivery.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to