User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 10:01:55
Print Post

Sky Fibre......Im worried

[link to this post]

Currently with BT Infinity 2 and i have to say the connection has more or less been spot on,contract has now all but ended and i have committed to the new Sky Q installed on March 11th and Sky Fibre Unlimited which is due to go live March 4th.

I game a lot and i have been doing a lot of Google research and I'm just getting so much negativity regarding Sky Fibre and constant disconnects according to all the forum reports i read.

Im trying to look at this logically as i know that there will always be some negativity regardless of who you choose and what product you go for,but I'm seeing far to much negative as opposed to positive and it really worries me that i will be tied into a 12 month contract with a poor service,i don't know if its to late to cancel having paid the best part of £300 up front for the Sky Broadband Changeover Phone and Sky Q equipment .

Anybody on here could advise it would be helpful as a stable good decent internet connection is more essential to me than Sky Q,i have there new Home Hub router here already and compared to my Netgear router it doesn't look like much,its not connected yet but at some point Friday it will be when Sky Takeover,i also don't like the fact that Sky do not tell you the username and password for there service as they want you to use there equipment only.

I know there is a way around this but I'm not convinced i have now made the right choice so all information of others with Sky Fibre will be useful .

Edited by time2die (Tue 01-Mar-16 10:03:22)

Standard User Skilty
(member) Tue 01-Mar-16 10:44:14
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre......Im worried

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

If you can wait then I would, Sky Q doesn't have to have Sky Fibre to work. They are restricting it initially.

Also remember that people only tend to post if they have a bad experience, very few post to say "My ISP is great!"

Their Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited package works out at around the same price as BT, so if you are happy why move?

I toyed with the idea of moving back to Sky but when I looked at the cost it made no sense for the same level of service.

Part of the T&Cs for Sky is that you use their hub. On the v1 and v2 hub it was easy to extract the user and password, unplug the hub and then use a modem/router supporting MER.

My thought is simply wait for Sky Q to be available with Sky Fibre...

Skilty

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-16 10:47:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
I game a lot and i have been doing a lot of Google research and I'm just getting so much negativity regarding Sky Fibre and constant disconnects according to all the forum reports i read.
Please post links to these forums reports.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 11:03:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

They are all various forums that i spent time looking at this morning for the best part of 1 hour,so unless i go back Googling all this stuff and copy/paste all the stuff then i don't really have them to hand.

What would be more beneficial for me having said what you have is to ask you the obvious question......Do you have Sky Fibre and if you do then tell me what you think of the service.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 11:19:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
What would be more beneficial for me having said what you have is to ask you the obvious question......Do you have Sky Fibre and if you do then tell me what you think of the service.

I personally don't have Sky broadband as at the time they didn't do static IP. (and its more expensive)

However I have two friends, one on Sky ADSL and one on Sky Fibre and they both have flawless experience. If you've got a fibre service already, and there are no problems, I would suspect you are likely to have no problems with Sky - the physical side is going to be identical from your home to the green box and from the green box to the fibre exchange. The only change is at the ISP side, and Sky is a big enough ISP to have issues and get them fixed.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User ste211270
(regular) Tue 01-Mar-16 11:19:59
Print Post

I have both Sky pro and BT Infinity for me sky fibre is much better in terms of speed no drop outs connection has been rock solid all round much better than Bt
Standard User FlamingDazzler
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 11:30:52
Print Post

[re: ste211270] [link to this post]

Same here. I'm on Sky Fibre Unlimited. Apart from a recent problem where my speed would drop slightly which seems to have resolved itself, my latency has always been low and my line has never been congested. I have a connection time in the hundreds of hours so no problems with disconnections. Doesn't BT have a usage cap? I burn through 200 - 500 GB per month so the unlimited part of it is a real boon for me.
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Tue 01-Mar-16 12:07:43
Print Post

I really wouldnt worry about switching to SKY FTTC from BT. SKY generally do a lot better than BT in customer satisfaction, BT are pretty awful.

I have SKY FTTC Pro, never had any issues.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5130024196

Just had SKY Q installed this morning, really good.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-16 13:04:49
Print Post

You will likely have no issues. The only risk I see, the new Sky Q router is brand new and therefore may have issues we do not know about just yet.

As for my experience with Sky, the connection was flawless however their old router was very poor, here's hoping the new ones a lot better (which you will get).

I had lots of "drop outs" but that was the old router being unable to handle the load in my house, the connection didn't drop out, the router just kept rebooting itself when too many WiFi devices connected.

I am sure this explains the forum complaints. Using my own router did resolve the issues, but my own router failed, and instead of forking out £200 again to get the same one, I moved to BT

Connection wise - no issues. Equipment wise - unsure but you could always get your own router.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 14:17:10
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Did you get a demonstration for any length of time,or did they just install equipment and tell you they are rushed of there feet.

According to the person i spoke to at Sky regarding Sky Q,you are suppose to have the system explained to you clearly and that means even having tablets running and working.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to