User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Tue 01-Mar-16 14:19:02
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre......Im worried

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Been on Sky Fibre coming up 4 years (got installed 2 weeks after the public launch date), of which just in the 3rd year of being on Sky Fibre Pro. Been rock solid. D/L throughput speed measures constantly around 62Mbps (vs. predicted 56Mbps). Using the Sky Hub SR101 (+ BT OR [Huawei] VDSL2 modem). Sky Hub is adequate as a basic router but using our own wireless access point, in preference to the Sky Hub's wifi which it is well known for having many reports of poor or variable performance.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 14:21:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks Guys it makes me feel better having read what you guys with Sky Fibre think ?

I wouldn't mind moving generally if it was as quick to get out of a deal as it is to sign up.

In fairness when i did word my Google Sky Fibre search it was worded with the phrase ,I'm worried about moving to Sky Fibre,so based on that search criteria i am guessing that most of the search will be negative posts.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 14:25:53
Print Post

[re: speedyrite] [link to this post]

Well the new Sky Q Hub I'm guessing has a Modem built into it,well it better as my present Netgear does ,i also read it has some sort of Home plug built into as well.

I use Solwise home plugs which i think are brilliant and i would hope that this Sky Hub works with the Solwise system plugs.

I also don't like the fact that the new Sky Q Hub comes with only 2 Ethernet ports which means given the amount of equipment i have in my Netgear router at present I'm going to have to use a Ethernet Switch,something i already have at the side of the Tv.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Tue 01-Mar-16 14:38:48
Print Post

He would have happily stayed all day talking about it, I couldn't get rid of him wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 16:18:52
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Well thats decent apart from having to push him out the door wink Initial thoughts regarding the Kit,my concern is how do the Mini boxes work and stream content,i mean if they are using Wireless I'm not convinced,or are they picking it up from the Sky Q hub and the fact it has apparently built in Home-plug.

Not keen on the shared planner either and i hope a future update will fix that issue,i can see me now putting the planner on and having to scour through pages and pages of American Housewives in New Your,Miami,La ,Chicago and every soap episode known to man.
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Tue 01-Mar-16 16:51:10
Print Post

Yes I believe the new Sky Q Hub ER110 has got a built-in ADSL/VDSL2 modem. Personally I prefer a dual box arrangement.

The ER110 also has much better wifi performance, from the early reports I've read about. Presumably they have (at last!) learned the lessons from the mistakes made with the internal antenna placement and internal unshielded PSU on the Sky Hub SR101 & SR102.

Edited by speedyrite (Tue 01-Mar-16 16:52:43)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 17:04:16
Print Post

[re: speedyrite] [link to this post]

Haven't actually taken it out the box yet,it looks small and i don't recall seeing a exterior antenna,in fact it must have internal because i have just popped it out the box and there is no external antenna.?
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 17:45:01
Print Post

I have Sky Fibre (38M/10M) & can say I have not had any problems with this as a service. As SKY use the same cables to your phone socket from the green fibre cabinet in the street, I assume if your BT fibre is rock solid, then the SKY fibre will be rock solid. Its the same equipment (well it was until your router changes to skyQ, how skyq routers perform only time will tell.)

IanD
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Mar-16 23:48:09
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Sky Fibre on one of my lines, the one for the xbox and TV and rock solid, 2 hours plus of streaming per day and gaming and that is with the SR102 which others moan a lot about

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Wed 02-Mar-16 08:11:26
Print Post

Yes the Sky Q Hub also has an internal antenna, but early reports seem to indicate that wifi performance is much better than the older Sky Hubs, so that's good news for prospective users of it.

Most of the complains that I have read about Sky Fibre were actually about the poor wifi performance of the Sky Hub SR101 & SR102 (as previously discussed) and in almost all those cases the complainants did not have any throughput speed issues on an ethernet connection (they were just not tech savvy enough to realise the true cause of the issue they were suffering).

Edited by speedyrite (Wed 02-Mar-16 08:17:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to