User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Wed 02-Mar-16 08:38:55
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre......Im worried

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

At the minute it is using wifi and I was pretty sceptical to be honest had wifi problems before. But it has worked flawlessly so far in all rooms. Each box acts as a wifi repeater which I think helps a lot and is really clever.

Soon power line will be turned on which will make the boxes send the signal via that if it's stronger than wifi. There is actually a secret menu to turn this on now but as its all working I'm going to wait.

The new Sky q router is so much better than the old one. I used to have wifi turned off on Sky router and use a couple of airport extremes but now I don't need them. Signal is good enough.

Everyone's conditions are different so until it's installed we won't know for sure. But there is always the
10 day period in which you can cancel and if it doesn't work Sky will have to come back and fix it. Gut feeling though is it's very clever kit and will work great for you smile

Edited by kingbiscit (Wed 02-Mar-16 08:40:40)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Mar-16 08:55:52
Print Post

[re: speedyrite] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by speedyrite:
Yes the Sky Q Hub also has an internal antenna, but early reports seem to indicate that wifi performance is much better than the older Sky Hubs, so that's good news for prospective users of it.

Most of the complains that I have read about Sky Fibre were actually about the poor wifi performance of the Sky Hub SR101 & SR102 (as previously discussed) and in almost all those cases the complainants did not have any throughput speed issues on an ethernet connection (they were just not tech savvy enough to realise the true cause of the issue they were suffering).

The SR101 & SR102 have pretty old WiFi technology (2.4ghz N with single antenna) but the Q router is apparently the new AC wireless which means it must have multiple antennas and both 2.4 and 5Ghz transmissions. Sky are late in updating their router, the other big ISPs have been supplying AC for a couple of years now.

I wonder if you order SkyFibre without Sky Q TV if you get the new Q router or the old SR102 !

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Mar-16 09:33:08
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Come March 11th i will let you know,in the mean time enjoy and thanks for the information .wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Wed 02-Mar-16 14:03:15
Print Post

No problem, let us all know how you get on.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Mar-16 15:18:25
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Well i went for the obvious Sky Silver with a couple of Mini Boxes,i don't think the remote for the Mini is the same as the Sky Silver is it ?

Will let you know mate a week Friday all been well wink
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Wed 02-Mar-16 17:03:31
Print Post

With SKy silver box you get two remotes, a touch one and a more basic one. The mini boxes just come with the basic remote.

To be honest though the touch remote has gone in the drawer, everyone in my house just found it a bit fiddly.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 02-Mar-16 17:11:31
Print Post

sky have a rock solid network.

The sky router is poor, but if you getting the skyQ box then thats much more modern than their old hub.

I am on sky and happily using my own router.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Skilty
(member) Wed 02-Mar-16 22:16:21
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I range up on Monday as I wanted Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited and was told I would get the v2 router which I took to mean the SR102.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User Nighty1973
(member) Wed 02-Mar-16 22:33:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Sky have said that the new Sky Q Hub will be available to all broadband customers eventually. I'm guessing it will become the "standard" router as well.

For now though I would imagine all stocks are being allocated to Sky Q installs.
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-16 14:38:42
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I agree, I have no problems with my Fibre connection whatsoever but as mentioned -The Sky Hub/Router is very poor and I use the Sky Hub as the modem (WiFi disabled) and my Billion 7800n as a wireless solution. The reason I don't just use the Billion is due to the Sky Hub achieving a better sync rate thus improving my speeds.

You will get the new Sky Q Router, I've no idea how this will perform but it must be better than the Sky Hub because that really does perform badly.

I think you'll be happy with your connection once fully setup and activated.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to