User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-16 18:07:24
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre......Im worried

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

I'm surprised how much bad press the wifi on the SR102 gets. A relative recently replaced their Home Hub 4 with an SR102 and the range and speed are the same if not slightly better. Admittedly the SR102 has no 5 Ghz, but they don't use 5 Ghz and the range is poorer on 5 Ghz than on 2.4 Ghz anyway in "quiet zones" such as theirs.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-16 20:41:29
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I think magazines did tests and then tear downs. I seem to recall the main issue with the SR101 and SR102 (same wireless hardware) is the way the internal antennas are orientated. It really depends on the number of other networks in your area, but the SR101 and SR102 are the same wireless chip as in the older (last gen) Sagem router that some early fibre customers received.

Many people have bought £60 TPLink routers (even in PCworld) that are dual band N with 3 visible antennas, turned off the WiFi in the SR101/102 and used the TPLink as a WiFi access point - and solved their coverage problems.

Sky are just late to the improved wireless party - they should have launched AC 2.5 years ago when BT launched HomeHub 5.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Mar-16 21:12:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
I'm surprised how much bad press the wifi on the SR102 gets. A relative recently replaced their Home Hub 4 with an SR102 and the range and speed are the same if not slightly better. Admittedly the SR102 has no 5 Ghz, but they don't use 5 Ghz and the range is poorer on 5 Ghz than on 2.4 Ghz anyway in "quiet zones" such as theirs.

The big issue exists for families with 4 or more users. The SR102 has design issues which mean 16 wifi connections at once is the absolute physical limit it can handle, with anything over 10 connections being unstable. It seems far far more affected when users have Dropbox, Google drive etc running or a torrent uploading. The whole router will self reboot multiple times - hence why sky have this huge reputation of "dropping" - the router just can't handle things.

Whilst 10 and 16 connections seems a lot, take my house with five users. We have 3 sky boxes online 24/7, we 2 wifi TVs with Netflix built in, 2 play station 4s consoles, a wii, an Apple TV. That's 9 devices online pretty much all day before we even connect a phone or a laptop of our own. The sky router spent more time falling over and failing than working. Granted with my own router it worked fine the connection... But average Joe doesn't buy their own router.

Virginmedia Ac Hub and HH5 work fine under that load.

EDIT: This was a strong reason sky provided free wifi boosters as it spread the load between the booster and the main hub, hence meaning a lot more users could connect if they were half on the booster and half on the main hub.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 03-Mar-16 21:16:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-16 21:31:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I think magazines did tests and then tear downs. I seem to recall the main issue with the SR101 and SR102 (same wireless hardware) is the way the internal antennas are orientated. It really depends on the number of other networks in your area, but the SR101 and SR102 are the same wireless chip as in the older (last gen) Sagem router that some early fibre customers received.

Perhaps the SR102 has undergone minor revision since launch.

From 1 review: "Even at just 1m distance from the router we only saw 20.3Mbit/s". However I got about 36 Mbps on my smartphone from an SR102, range 3 metres. That's about as much as one will get from single channel single antenna 802.11n (a dual antenna client probably would have achieved more).

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Thu 03-Mar-16 21:42:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Mar-16 19:42:22
Print Post

The older SR101
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/77-sk...

Would do more of this testing but takes a full day by the time you get everything set-up and do multiple tests to verify everything. So each review is a solid 4 to 5 days work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Mar-16 21:07:36
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre……Just gone live ?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok guys the Sky Fibre Unlimited has now gone live and everything seems to have been quite smooth,lost Bt connection then proceeded to unbox the new Sky hub which connected within a few minutes.

Changed the wi/fi password and some other bits and bobs but thats about it.

Now i have some questions to ask regarding my set up at present and have i done it correctly given that this new Sky Hub is suppose to have some built in home plug device inside so I'm led to believe.

Well I'm using at present Solwise Home plugs around the house and i have this Sky Hub power plugged into a extension socket at the moment,i don't know if i put it direct to a wall socket if this would have been beneficial ,my home plugs run all my gaming consoles and a few other devices,and given that these are powered through extension leads and i use a ethernet switch from the solwise home plug to power the Tv,xbox One and Playstation 4,when i say power i mean give them the broadband connection.

This is the first stage of the Sky Install,this time next week the Sky Q silver equipment arrives and he might tell me i haven't set it up correctly,but for now all seems ok and running.

Since there so called new more advanced so they say new Sky hub only comes with 2 ethernet ports,my question is does this impact on connection when using a ethernet switch,i also noticed that when logging in the first time to the Sky Site when powering on the Sky Hub it said i was missing using the Microfilters and detected i hadn't used what they had supplied,now i have the more modern faceplates and was told by the guy that fitted them recently i didn't need to use them as they were built into the faceplate ,well thats what the engineer who fitted my most recent one in the office said…….Ex Bt engineer that is ?

I also don't have one on the phone in the hall……..Am i right or am i wrong ?

Anybody with suggestions as to other methods please let me know

Edited by time2die (Fri 04-Mar-16 21:13:24)

Standard User Skilty
(member) Fri 04-Mar-16 21:29:55
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

So as I understand it the Sky Q Mini boxes and the hub (maybe even the Sky Q Silver) can all use powerline BUT it is not being enabled on roll out they will enable it later.

Also the Sky Powerline is not compatible with your Solwise home plugs.

As the new Sky Q hub ethernet ports are both gigabit using a gigabit switch will not impact performance.

If it is the Mk3 faceplate I would continue using that, but that is just me...

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Mar-16 22:07:40
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Cheers mate,I'm not sure what type of faceplate they are,but i know I'm not using Micro-filters and i don't notice any initial problems at present or the past 12 months since not using them.
Standard User mike_adams
(newbie) Sat 20-May-17 15:40:30
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

We've just switched to Sky as well after having enough of BT's terrible support and customer service. Initial impressions were good, but streaming video services are performing terribly. We're getting a decent download speed, as expected and consistent with BT's which never exhibited these issues.

So, I thought I'd try swapping the ER110 router for my old Nighthawk D7000 to see if that would help things but easier said than done....

Has anybody successfully done this who could point me in the direction of the basic settings? I've recorded the Sky router's MAC address and extracted my username & password, but I cannot get the Netgear to authenticate.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 20-May-17 16:58:34
Print Post

[re: mike_adams] [link to this post]

1. Launch a web browser.
2. Enter www.routerlogin.net in the address field of the browser.

A login window displays.

3. Enter admin for the user name and password for the password.

The BASIC Home page displays.

If your Internet connection is not set up yet, the NETGEAR installation assistant automatically detects your Internet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to