User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeL
(member) Fri 22-Apr-16 12:54:58
Print Post

Connected but not getting anywhere

[link to this post]

Hi

I have had this problem for many months on and off now. Sometimes it takes a few days to sort it self out but then it works for a while. It will show I'm connected but when I try and go anywhere on my browser it doesn't let me. The only thing that sometimes works it rebooting the router multiple times.

A bit of background. I am using a Asus N55U Modem/Router on Broadband Unlimited, I only get usually 4-5mbps due to being so far away from exchange. Around 2am fairly often my line will disconnect and connect at a different speed, it does this more often than it used to but I think its somewhat normal (DLM?) However sometimes when it disconnects and I try it in the morning I get this no throughput problem. I can tell its not really connected (despite it saying it is) as it doesn't even adjust the time on the router log from January 1st.

I just tried plugging in my old SR102 router and was ready to ring sky up about it, but lo and behold the internet connection comes back! My line attenuation reports at 55.5db but remember it being as high at 57-58db on this router. On my Asus it reports it as 62db!

The one thing I have noticed that sometimes when it's connected and I'm not getting anywhere is my line noise is really low, like 1.5db, 0.7db obvously this is too low and it causing it to disconnect often. But I have also had this problem at between 4-7db which should be sufficiently stable enough, when its like this trying to get to a website doesn't usually cause it to disconnect but I still have the same problem of not being able to get anywhere.

Thanks
Standard User mbames
(regular) Fri 22-Apr-16 13:05:14
Print Post

Re: Connected but not getting anywhere

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

Maybe not 100% related, but my parents are at the end of a long line, and live in an old house where wifi only works on a room-by-room basis!

Had all sorts of performance issues, but moving where a home-plug was plugged and fitting a UPS seemed to help no end. He had lots of disconnects, and generally very poor throughput.

Just VPN'd in and his router has been up 35 days (should be much greater than that), but the line has been up for 218 hours (9days), so a lot better than than the 1-2 hrs used to experience.

Sky Fibre (40/10), HG612, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User MikeL
(member) Fri 22-Apr-16 14:50:23
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Our house is fairly old, 1950's. We were getting 5mbps for years and it was just staying that speed, now it is all over the place.

It will drop down to 4mbps regularly and its usually stable, but then sometimes it will connect back up at 5.7mbps which it's never been stable at, so it eventually keeps going back down to 4mbps, sometimes lower if its really struggling.

We had a problem where it would always disconnect whenever it rained, I rang up tens of times and usually they would put the speed up manually but the rain would cause disconnects and bring the speed down, eventually we got an engineer out and they replaced the line to the house and it was a lot more stable and didn't disconnect in the rain any more. This was a few years ago and our current problem has only been about 6-8 months or so.

I rang up Sky today and although the line was working I thought I would try and see what they say. They did a line test and couldn't find anything wrong, told me to monitor it and ring back if it did it again basically. It's typical when I switched the modem back to the sky router the connection works again, next time I will try to ring them up when its not working. I have gone back to my Asus router and it is working fine now too.

I have one computer wired and it doesn't work either, so its not WiFi problem. We have a BT socket filter, it has one socket for telephone line and one for modem cable (inbuild line filter)

I noticed a few CRC up errors within 10 minutes

Heres some router stats (its working fine atm):

Modulation : 4 (ADSL2+)
Annex Mode : Annex A
Line State : 3 (up)
Lan Tx : 796968
Lan Rx : 532558
ADSL Tx : 528110
ADSL Rx : 790073
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 56
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 7866
HEC Down : 65
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 8.6
SNR Down : 6.3
Line Attenuation Up : 36.9
Line Attenuation Down : 62.4
Data Rate Up : 798
Data Rate Down : 4096

0 days 1 hours 15 minutes 35 seconds

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Apr-16 15:17:12
Print Post

May not be the line, but just the way the Asus DSL microcode is handling the long line and the way the Sky DSLAM is set-up. What is the reason for not using the Sky modem all the time?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeL
(member) Fri 22-Apr-16 21:31:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just wanted to use a better router, better wifi and can support more wifi connections etc. I wanted to use QoS too but the router I have (Asus) it doesn't seem to work how it should.

I just can't understand why this problem has only happened in the last months when its been OK for years (barring the rain disconnects on old line) I don't think I have anything new that could be interfering with the line. We are right on the edge of being able to get fibre too and when we did try and get it it was barely faster than ADSL.

Maybe I will have to try using the Sky router for a while and see if it has the same problem.

Edited by MikeL (Fri 22-Apr-16 21:32:35)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Apr-16 00:09:41
Print Post

Can I confirm, rebooting everything fixes it?

If so, I had this issue too on a short line from time to time with Sky. Maybe once every few months... Connected, with an IP, but no throughput. Reboot fixed always.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-Apr-16 18:38:44
Print Post

The DSL-N55U if I recall can be switched into an access point mode if I recall, which will give you better Wi-Fi while having the stability of the Sky device.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeL
(member) Sat 23-Apr-16 20:11:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Last night it disconnected and connected again, but there was no throughput again, a reboot fixed it this time. But about 2 days ago I rebooted lots of times and it wasn't fixing it.

Yeah I know the issue when we had a stable internet connection connected for weeks/months it would occasionally need a reboot, this maybe the same thing but its happening very frequently, every night sometimes.
Standard User MikeL
(member) Sat 23-Apr-16 20:17:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I think it can do that. Can I still use the Gigabit ports of the N55U though? Others seem to be able to use their own router without trouble, so its puzzling. Perhaps its something buggy in the router firmware itself, its the latest firmware too, unfortunately I can't use custom firmware with this router (DSL-N55U). I haven't ruled out that it won't happen using the Sky router either though.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 24-Apr-16 09:33:41
Print Post

Yes Ethernet ports would still be available as switch ports

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to