User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dizzy4528
(learned) Mon 25-Apr-16 19:56:11
Print Post

Happy Now ............is this why ?

[link to this post]

Having been really disappointed with the wireless performance and stabilty of the black SR102 Sky router modem on FTTC ,I bought a open reach HG612 Modem and a Asus RT N66U router .Having flashed both pieces of kit with the appropriate firmware ,I now enjoy a strong wireless signal all over the house and a resync free uptime of over 45 days compared to the Sky Box resyncing every couple of days and a rather patchy wireless signal .
Question is ,is the connection stability due to the fact that the cab , modem and router all have Broadcom chipsets or is it the fact the Sky modem/router is really quite rubbish ???

AOL (for far too long)--------> Newnet
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 25-Apr-16 20:00:00
Print Post

Re: Happy Now ............is this why ?

[re: dizzy4528] [link to this post]

The SR102 has a Broadcom chipset as well, but its wifi is a bit rubbish. The new Sky Q router is a lot better.
Standard User dizzy4528
(regular) Mon 25-Apr-16 20:16:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Was considering SKY Q ,but was content with my latest modem/router setup, could i use my latest setup of the HG612 and ASUS router or do i have to use the SKY Q supplied router modem ???

AOL (for far too long)--------> Newnet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Apr-16 21:06:58
Print Post

SR102 isn't very good wirelessly. It also struggles with multiple devices connected, often resulting in a self reboot.

It is single band 2.4Ghz wireless.

RE Sky Q, I believe they recommend using their hardware currently. They have a Sky Q wireless booster which can be supplied to ensure optimal range.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 25-Apr-16 21:07:28)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Apr-16 17:20:12
Print Post

The last bit wink and i know i had there new Sky Q hub for all of 3 days .
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Apr-16 17:21:58
Print Post

Says Who ? I had that and its complete trash when compared to most decent 3rd party routers.

Freebie routers given out by ISP such as Sky just don't stack up compared to paid routers that you by yourself.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Apr-16 17:26:33
Print Post

Not anymore you don't thank heavens,believe me mate whatever people say about the new Sky Q hub its junk.

I wanted Sky Q and moved my broadband service to Sky to get it,but after having it delivered and setting it up the wifi was appalling to say the least,within 3 days i cancelled my install of Sky Q based on the fact the Hub was Horrible and the negativity surrounding Sky Q on its very own forums was way to much in my opinion.

Plus the fact that the Sky Q system relies on a wifi signal and my experience of just basic broadband surfing was a complete disaster literally 12 feet from the Hub.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 28-Apr-16 17:27:29
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

It's dual-channel with wireless-AC and it supports a PLA mesh system. It's unlike any other router.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Apr-16 17:39:36
Print Post

Doesn't match my Netgear Nighthawk 7800 thats for sure wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Apr-16 17:40:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
It's dual-channel with wireless-AC and it supports a PLA mesh system. It's unlike any other router.

Problem is BatBoy that mesh system for Sky Q isn't exactly doing a very good job if you visit the Sky Q forums .
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to