User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Zaper
(newbie) Tue 03-May-16 18:24:14
Print Post

Downstream spee dropping

[link to this post]

Hi I'm looking for some advice..I'm using an Asus DSL ac 68u modem/router with sky fibre 40/10.after reading many pages trawling the internet..connecting isn't a problem..but over time usually several days my sync speed seems to drop..I'm assuming dlm kicks in I'm not that confident about what setting to tweak to stabilise the connection.. Any advice my stats
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.1.135_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2
DSL Link Status
up
DSL Uptime 0 days 0 hours 44 minute(s) 13 seconds
DSL modulation
ITU G.993.2(VDSL2)
ANNEX Mode
ANNEX A
Current Profile
17a
TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)
Line Stats Downstream Upstream
SNR
8.9 dB
9.9 dB
Line Attenuation
12.9 dB
3.1 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
FastPath
Interleave Depth
Data Rate
29999 kbps
9999 kbps
MAX Rate
POWER
12.1 dbm
6.9 dbm
CRC

Edited by Zaper (Tue 03-May-16 18:27:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-May-16 19:35:29
Print Post

Re: Downstream spee dropping

[re: Zaper] [link to this post]

If the sync speed drops over a few days and a restart of the Asus fixes this, then this is not DLM, but likely a result of how the DSL microcode in the Asus is running.

From first glance the 29999 Kbps seems a bit slow for a 12 dB attenuation line, and the Max Rate bears out this suggestion too.

Are you using the modem on an extension socket, or if at the master socket is there any extensions in the home, testing the connection at the test socket (which will disable the extensions is worthwhile) and a then fitting a VDSL2 faceplate Just £10.77 on Amazon should then allow you to use the extensions for phones, but keep the VDSL2 speed reasonable.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zaper
(newbie) Tue 03-May-16 20:20:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi I've an original socket after the line entered the house that has been closed with a blanking cover this now leads to the master socket with no extension, master socket has a filter built in...the Asus and sky tv plus phone connected..had 3 openreach engineers out...first one said the wires in original box was wrong tested the line said there was no faults ...second openreach said the small box when entering the house had slight rust put two grommets on ...the last guy found that the cable from the street was damaged due to the cowl at the top off pole being damaged..he replaced the cable from pole to house, he then reset the DLM said this would take 10 days to settle... This was all when using sky's rs101 router..but the speeds stayed low...sky Jedi then said it was the router so sent me the sky Q hub after a bit off haggling..contacted sky again they decided to send yet another enginner.. This was the guy that was helpful that had found the cable was damaged to begin with, the day he arrived an just before he came to the door haha 40/10 sync he tested the line an all was good.....the problem is that the sky hub does not have all the setting an configuration I need...so I'm thinking since putting my ac68u back in the sync has been slowly dropping again it must be the settings in the asus.

Apologies for the long drown out story but wanted to be thorough.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-May-16 23:51:53
Print Post

[re: Zaper] [link to this post]

People have sometimes mentioned the Asus routers are not ideal devices for hosting VDSL2 modem too.

This may or may not help but TP Link W9970 is a cheap £33 on Amazon that will run in bridge mode and seems stable and well behaved on VDSL2 side, run it in bridge mode to the Asus and I presume you know your Sky username/password info already.

That is assuming you've already made sure you are running the latest Asus firmware

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to