User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-16 17:10:23
Print Post

Sky switching filters on as default

[link to this post]

Might be of some interest to sky users, new and old.

http://betanews.com/2016/07/07/sky-broadband-web-fil...

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jul-16 20:06:46
Print Post

Re: Sky switching filters on as default

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I'm no longer a sky customer but I have no problem with this.

It's a minor inconvenience for homes without kids who don't want their internet filtered.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User dsergeant
(member) Fri 08-Jul-16 07:07:07
Print Post

Note that this is only for NEW Sky customers. Many of us who don't have children in the house have already decided to disable the filter as it causes other problems than just blocking adult material. I don't think there is any intention that those who have already disabled Web Shield will have it turned back on.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-16 08:27:52
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

If you are a Sky Broadband customer already, and you're thinking that you're glad you won't have to indicate whether you want to be able to access the more 'adult' parts of the web, think again. The company says that it will be contacting the rest of its customer base of the coming months to ask them about Sky Broadband Shield. The key thing to take away from Sky's announcement is that:

If they don't respond, we will switch it on for them and invite them to amend or switch it off themselves.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jul-16 10:16:50
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dsergeant:
Note that this is only for NEW Sky customers. Many of us who don't have children in the house have already decided to disable the filter as it causes other problems than just blocking adult material. I don't think there is any intention that those who have already disabled Web Shield will have it turned back on.

Note that it will also be for existing customers as well, if you have not made a decision on the filters then Sky will turn them on for you.

What sky should do is send a email to their customers saying it is a available and can be switched on, but i do not think it is up to sky to turn them on for people.

Glad I am with plusnet in one way,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jul-16 10:17:43
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
I'm no longer a sky customer but I have no problem with this.

It's a minor inconvenience for homes without kids who don't want their internet filtered.

I do not have a problem as i am not with Sky, never have been and I doubt ever will be, but I do think they are going about it the wrong way.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User mbames
(member) Sun 10-Jul-16 10:52:01
Print Post

I think Sky are taking the responsible approach here - enable it, and then let the adults turn it off if they don't want it on. That way Sky are doing their bit to ensure the youngsters have to work a bit hard to find dodgy stuff on the internet.

I'm 100% sure that not every account holder is going to read an email saying "please turn on filters if you want them", but if they find they are turned on, it wouldn't be very difficult for them to figure out how to turn them off and to return to their normal browsing habits wink

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jul-16 19:30:01
Print Post

It takes little effort if you want it off, so I think on as default is a good idea. specially for familys with limited knowledge on how to set it up etc

BT Infinity 2 using HH5A
TBB Speedtest
My Broadband Ping
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 10-Jul-16 19:47:51
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
It takes little effort if you want it off,
How do you turn it off?

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jul-16 21:05:01
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
It takes little effort if you want it off, so I think on as default is a good idea. specially for familys with limited knowledge on how to set it up etc

Rubbish, It should be opt in simple as that, this is the start of the slippery slope, how will it be before we have no choice but to have these filters on?

these filters are there because our government want to censor stuff.l

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to