User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ansam
(member) Sun 10-Jul-16 22:46:28
Print Post

Sky Q Extract Username Password

[link to this post]

Does anyone knowing a way to extract sky username/password from sky q router? I do have my previous sky router so if no way to extract from sky q I could connect and extract from that.

Connection - Sky Fibre Pro 80/20.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 15-Jul-16 15:39:11
Print Post

Re: Sky Q Extract Username Password

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

Google "sky router wireshark" and a youtube video is near the top of the list as well as many sites explaining how its done, so I wont repeat it all here.

I did it years ago on the SR101 (White) but have since used the SR102 and also the Sky Q hub, it wont matter which user/pw you get as they will all work as Im still using the SR101 User/pw (its based on the MAC address of the Router).
All devices they give you will be registered against your account, so in my case I will have 3 user/pw's on my account for access.
Standard User MikeL
(member) Sun 24-Jul-16 16:22:04
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

I bought my SR102 off eBay I think yet it still worked with my connection?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-16 18:17:48
Print Post

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

It would work just fine, wireshark is just capturing the traffic, it is not router specific.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 24-Jul-16 19:29:31
Print Post

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MikeL:
How would it be registered against your account?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-16 22:33:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by MikeL:
How would it be registered against your account?

Registration against the account does not actually come from the username and password on sky. As long as you are a paying customer on sky it will work. When you initially remove your old router, and place the new one in play, there used to be a waiting time of around 1 to 2 hours whilst the new routers MAC was linked to your account. Then it would begin functioning. Not sure if the waiting time still applies, I suspect it does.

If you buy a third party router such as a netgear, they will ask you to clone the old sky routers MAC as part of the setup, if the router has a sky broadband drop down.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 25-Jul-16 00:12:47)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 24-Jul-16 22:44:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

So you mean the user/pw is not registered against your account?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-16 00:09:37
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes with sky, there is no such thing as your personal username and password. The username and password is derived from the MAC of the router and will work on any Sky connection out of the box.

That said, there are plenty of routers sold on ebay which do not work. This is largely because somebody gets the sky router, extracts the username & password, uses their own equipment, then sells the Sky router on ebay. Of course now, there are two users attempting to connect to Sky with what appears to be the same details, as such there are issues.

Also if a user does not make a payment, sky have been known to then go into the users account, find out the MAC of the device they believe they are using, go into the list of allowed devices on their network, & put a manual block on that specific router.

Effectively, if the router is not on a block list (ie seller not made payments) & the seller is not using the same details (ie own router with the sold routers details), it will work.

In terms of who is accountable for the internet usage, it would always link to the correct user, ie the buyers account, e.g. illegal downloads etc.

EDIT: When a device sold on ebay is used by another customer, Sky will do a check that the router is not barred, and is in the allowed pool, then they will register the new MAC to the new users account. Process takes around 1 hour to complete. If it is network blocked, it will not work.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 25-Jul-16 00:18:26)

Print Thread

Jump to