User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jul-16 13:28:36
Print Post

Sky Fibre Pro Opinions?

[link to this post]

Never used Sky fibre before, what are your opinions of Fibre Pro? What's the customer service like and where is it based? Thanks in advance.
Standard User lee32uk
(member) Wed 27-Jul-16 14:59:49
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre Pro Opinions?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
Never used Sky fibre before, what are your opinions of Fibre Pro? What's the customer service like and where is it based? Thanks in advance.

I can't comment on their Fibre service but as for their Customer Service (Or lack of it) I would rate them a Zero.
I am moving from Sky to Pulse8 Fibre this coming Monday and I have found Pulse8 to be the complete opposite. They respond to emails in a timely manner and you can actually get straight through to a customer service person on the phone without having to go through the 'press 1 for this' etc.

The ADSL service in all fairness from Sky has been problem free, but the CS lets them down badly in my opinion.

IDNET
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jul-16 15:31:56
Print Post

I was with Sky for around 4 years. No major issues, customer service much better than BT and TalkTalk in my experience. It was always Scottish or Irish, I do not believe I ever spoke to a foreign call centre. The biggest gripe is the poor router they provide.

Connection wise, was always very stable and fast without any slowdowns (apart from some congestion which did get resolved).

I had Fibre 38Mbps, not fibre pro.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 27-Jul-16 15:32:27)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Wed 27-Jul-16 16:29:34
Print Post

Why aren't many people on Sky Fibre Pro? It's still not pushed properly on the website either.

I was always told that it was because they haven't got the captivity in their network to support it properly. I do wonder now if it's because they've got poor routers too?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jul-16 16:57:21
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

I had sky fibre pro years ago. It never fell short of 80Mbps, and download speeds around 73Mbps... although over wireless I was lucky to get 35Mbps.

Their router is not dual band so over wireless it's unlikely to reach the full speeds.

They do have a new sky q router which is dual band but I believe it's only provided to sky q TV customers.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 27-Jul-16 16:58:16)

Standard User speedyrite
(member) Wed 27-Jul-16 18:17:23
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The Sky Q Hub is now also available to non-Sky TV customers who use Sky Broadband. I think it's £20 for new customers (otherwise it's the SR102), £59 as an upgrade for existing customers.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jul-16 18:39:47
Print Post

Because Std FTTC at 40/10 is more than needed for most of the Sky client base. I have been on FTTC 40/10 for 3+ years & although I have thought about upgrading several times, the extra £120 a year is just a waste of money as it gives no benefit to me. I use the service every day and it just works. So the way I look at this is if I do not need it, then then 99%+ do not need the FTTC Pro at 80/20.

IanD
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jul-16 19:47:56
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Agree with this. I had 38Mbps with BT and now upgraded to 55. Absolutely no noticeable difference unless I am downloading something huge (10Gb or larger).

In fact I got upgraded and did not realise for a few weeks!

A few years ago I went from 80 to 40, and now on 55.
Initially switching from 80 to 40 was a concern of mine, but once I did it, I realised it made no difference to me. Still able to stream multiple Netflix HD at once, able to have Youtube running on multiple devices, can have one person gaming and another downloading without any impact.

In fact, I think downgrading actually helped me out. On the fastest package my noise margin was often 5db, with significant interleaving and pings quite high. Since getting 40 and now 55Mbps, my noise margin is around 9db with no interleaving necessary at this sync speed and very low pings. I would say my connection is better at 55Mbps and 40Mbps than on the fastest package speed.

For me, I do not see any point paying the extra and I would always advise a user to get the slower fibre speed & if they feel they need the increase, to then upgrade after. Plus, plenty of users are on wireless and do not own technology capable of pulling the full speed over wireless.
Standard User speedyrite
(member) Thu 28-Jul-16 08:06:44
Print Post

No idea why they don't promote it more, unless it's because they know that it is a bit overpriced compared to their main competitors' "80/20" product (well maybe it isn't so much overpriced now, but it was definitely so in the past). I've had a £10 pm discount on Pro since April 2014, which I renew by negotiation each year (currently on that deal for the third time), making it the same price as the "40/10" product. Otherwise I would drop back to the "40/10" product, which I started on in April 2012 and was quite adequate. I don't think core network capacity is an issue for Sky.

Edited by speedyrite (Thu 28-Jul-16 08:09:50)

Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Thu 28-Jul-16 08:43:43
Print Post

I have been with Sky pro since October. Always get full 76mbps, never seen any slowdown or had any issues.

I have the Sky Q router which for me is pretty good but I do use Ethernet in places.

As far as support goes Sky Pro in my opinion is the best or the lot having previously been with Zen. Any issues you can use the online chat and speak direct to a dedicated support team for Pro users.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to