User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Aug-16 11:12:04
Print Post

IPV6 ACTING ODD

[link to this post]

Ok so simple issue, or question. My router is not rebooting or losing connection. On 40meg fibre so have a dynamic IP. Here is what i have noticed and it is thanks to this site.

Everyday or almost everyday, Most definitely every week i do speed tests on here to check my connection is performing ok. Here is what i have noticed. Since the IPV6 update and the speed tests use IPV6. Every single day i use the thinkbroadband speed test my ends IPV6 IP changes yet my IPV4 IP stays the same.
Router and connection uptime is over 400 hours yet everyday my IPV6 address changes.

Why is that?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Aug-16 15:35:09
Print Post

Re: IPV6 ACTING ODD

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

This is typical IPv6 behaviour. The most common way an endpoint acquires an IPv6 address is SLAAC, which uses the prefix allocated to the network together with a local part based on the MAC address of the interface. The predictable local part potentially allows individual users and machines to be traced around the IPv6 Internet, so, to prevent this, the privacy extensions were introduced. Consumer operating systems almost invariably have the privacy extensions enabled, which means the IPv6 address will change regularly.

If you do not want constantly changing IPv6 addresses, you can disable privacy extensions on a machine by machine basis. Another approach, if your router has support, you can run a DHCPv6 server and set the M bit in your RA announcements (which might be done for you if you enable DHCPv6). However, be aware that, by default, Windows will prefer a SLAAC address for outgoing traffic for privacy reasons if it has both a SLAAC and DHCPv6 address. Moreover, there are some devices that will not work with DHCPv6 - notably, Android devices work with SLAAC but not DHCPv6.

IPv6 typically works well in a default configuration. When you start digging deeper, you find that things are very different to IPv4.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Aug-16 15:38:50
Print Post

More info here including instructions to disable: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/304071-ipv6-tem...

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Aug-16 17:35:09
Print Post

As others have said, the ipv4 address is associated with the router, but the ipv6 address is associated with the device. A device when restarted (PC) by default gets a new ipv6 address. Mostly mine changes each time. This is so your address can not be used by websites to track your usage. If you want to use the same address all the time, then you can config your device to use a single address. This is normally set on ipv6 servers.

IanD
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Aug-16 17:56:03
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
If you want to use the same address all the time, then you can config your device to use a single address. This is normally set on ipv6 servers.

For static IPv6 it's enough just to disable temporary IPv6 addressing on the device, since the device's non-temporary IPv6 address is derived from the MAC address which does not normally change. Equally one can just keep both addresses active whilst making sure remote devices are only ever configured to connect to the non-temporary address.

Of course this is all dependent on the IPv6 WAN IP remaining the same too.

Oliver.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Aug-16 19:27:23
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Of course this is all dependent on the IPv6 WAN IP remaining the same too.

The IPv6 WAN IP address is irrelevant here - indeed, IPv6 doesn't necessarily need a globally addressable IPv6 IP on the WAN port, as traffic can pass to and from the gateway using link-local addresses. However, it is conventional for the WAN port to have a globally addressable IPv6 address, so that the router can originate and terminate IPv6 Internet traffic (such as DNS queries).

What must stay the same if you are going to disable automatic addressing mechanisms (or disable random addressing and privacy extensions but expect your LAN IPv6 addresses not to change) is the prefix for the LAN, typically acquired via DHCP-PD.

thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6

Edited by David_W (Thu 11-Aug-16 19:44:53)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Aug-16 20:09:43
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
The IPv6 WAN IP address is irrelevant here

It is relevant you wish to run a server with an IP address which doesn't change, which is what I was getting at. And that brings its own complexities; since a dynamic DNS client running on the router won't be much use as the router's dynamic dns client won't publish the IPv6 address of the server on the network. In that instance, the dynamic dns client will have to be run on the server itself.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Thu 11-Aug-16 20:10:10)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Aug-16 23:40:33
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
The IPv6 WAN IP address is irrelevant here

It is relevant you wish to run a server with an IP address which doesn't change, which is what I was getting at. And that brings its own complexities; since a dynamic DNS client running on the router won't be much use as the router's dynamic dns client won't publish the IPv6 address of the server on the network. In that instance, the dynamic dns client will have to be run on the server itself.

So long as the local network with the IPv6 server(s) has a static prefix, there is no need to use dynamic DNS - you can use an ordinary AAAA record with a statically allocated IPv6 address (either directly configured on the machine or allocated via DHCPv6). If you cannot do either of these or do not wish to, a less preferable but perfectly functional option is to turn off random addressing and privacy extensions so that the machine will always finish up with the same address using SLAAC.

The only circumstances where dynamic DNS cannot be avoided is if the network with the IPv6 server(s) has a dynamic prefix. Some US ISPs only give users a dynamic /60 or, worse still, a single dynamic /64. I don't know what approach Sky are using, though many of the higher priced UK ISPs give users a static /56 or static /48. Zen gives users a static /48 for their local networks.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Aug-16 00:22:09
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

So long as the local network with the IPv6 server(s) has a static prefix, there is no need to use dynamic DNS - you can use an ordinary AAAA record with a statically allocated IPv6 address

Yep, however Sky delegate a dynamic /56 prefix on IPv6. It's more sticky than their IPv4 addresses though, the IPv6 address will survive a router reboot. So dynamic DNS clients are going to be necessary on IPv6 as they were on IPv4.

Oliver.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-16 20:07:16
Print Post

Re: IPV6 ACTING ODD *DELETED*

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Post deleted by blackmesa8
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to