User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Sep-16 10:22:14
Print Post

Sky Q Router - Ethernet speed drop - wifi fine

[link to this post]

Sometime yesterday between 8am & 7pm the Ethernet speed to my PC dropped to 9mbps and stayed like that until I rebooted the router.

What doesn't make sense here is that the WiFi speedtests conducted yesterday and this morning showed no loss of speed, yet the wired test to the PC showed a drop from 36 to 9mbps.

Coincidentally between 9.15am and 12.15pm I joined the 21st Century and had Sky TV installed.The sky engineer did not touch the router and when connecting the Sky Box wifi, I pushed the WPS button.

I've only been with Sky Fibre 4 days.

Any info would be great to receive.

Steve
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-16 07:34:53
Print Post

Re: Sky Q Router - Ethernet speed drop - wifi fine

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

Done a bit of guesswork as the fault continues and everyone seems to have wifi only these days.

Spoke to a guy at Sky who checked out the router and found no issues, so he said it must be the cable and is sending out a new 2m cable to me. In the meantime, I swapped the cable into the other port and speeds were back to normal....

I also have turned off the 5ghz wifi as I don't have any specific 5ghz band devices. Here I note the router now runs much cooler.

I'll see what happens in the coming days as to whether the drop in wired speeds occurs again. I'll also see what Cat the cable Sky send is, current cable (15m long). I had no problems with up to 80mbs on previous routers, before future proofing the home with Cat 6a STP, whicih I know shouldn't be necessary..

Steve
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-16 08:39:21
Print Post

It does sound as if the Ethernet connection is dropping down to 10Mbps connection speed instead of 100 or even gigabit speeds. This is usually caused by a faulty cable or a faulty Ethernet card inside the computer.

It could also be an driver issue of some sorts. Any recent changes to the computer such as the OS?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-16 16:33:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Been running Ubuntu Mate for 8 mths, no problems until this router. Computer is no more than 13mths old only had Linux Mint & Ubuntu Mate on it.

Steve

Edited by blfamily (Mon 19-Sep-16 16:41:23)

Standard User ip75
(regular) Mon 19-Sep-16 16:46:32
Print Post

If I've understood correctly, you have a problem with one of the ethernet ports on the router, but not the other? Could be a hardware failure on one of the ports, I've had that happen before on a (non-Sky) router.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-16 21:56:52
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

You might be right!

It was port 2 that went slow on all 3 occasions. I'm now connected to Port 1. If this port does not go slow, then I will swap back to Port 2 and see if that drops after 2 days. If it does then that would indicate a port fault.

I assume then as the cable works fine on port 1, it is the router and request a replacement from Sky.

Steve
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Wed 21-Sep-16 19:43:15
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

I've had Ethernet port 1 fail on two Q routers.
Standard User gmangt4
(newbie) Wed 21-Sep-16 20:48:45
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

I've just removed my skyq router due to slow wired throughput, put my asus back in and slow issues gone.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Sep-16 18:31:54
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

are all of your other skyQ and sky mini services also working with your router?

IanD
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Sep-16 18:58:54
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Port 1 is working fine. Will try Port 2 again and update in a few days time smile

Steve
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to