User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Sep-16 18:56:23
Print Post

SKYQ powerline

[link to this post]

looks like the SKYQ power line service has started to roll out. It is now available as a configuration option on my SKYQ router and SKY Silver box. Not sure if I will convert from Wifi to Powerline yet

IanD
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Fri 23-Sep-16 14:41:26
Print Post

Re: SKYQ powerline

[re: iand] [link to this post]

I've been using powerline for years. Much better in my view and never let me down.
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 23-Sep-16 16:38:23
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Is there anything you haven't used?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Sep-16 17:36:07
Print Post

Does WiFi work well for you? If so I would leave the current setup in play.

In my home powerline drops out and is slower than wireless AC so I get no benefit from it.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 23-Sep-16 18:11:50
Print Post

Remember SkyQ powerlines are an integral part of the hybrid mesh network http://www.wi-fi360.com/airties-can-finally-talk-ope...
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Sep-16 09:18:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

yes and the sky power line only talks to other sky power line equipment. I have switched this on, on the router (off by default). Need to see if there is an option now on the SKYQ box or if it is automatic.

Looks like sky are slowly switching services on, checking stability at each phase. As an example the sky-mini connection into the skyq box was very fragile at the start with the skyq box stopping to respond to the mini. After a few firmware updates of the skyq box this looks to have been fixed.

IanD
Standard User jb66
(committed) Sun 25-Sep-16 15:35:40
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Apart from the fact you'll be lucky to get more than 60mb/s
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-16 08:35:39
Print Post

[re: jb66] [link to this post]

Until my fibre connection dropped from 72 Mbps to 54 Mbps I could get 69 Mbps across a couple of Solwise AV500 plugs and across ring mains as well.
Standard User Fido
(committed) Fri 04-Nov-16 11:35:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Remember SkyQ powerlines are an integral part of the hybrid mesh network http://www.wi-fi360.com/airties-can-finally-talk-ope...

We have just moved from Sky HD TV to Sky Q, (less than 7 days ago), we also moved our broadband from BT Infinity 2 to Sky Fibre and I have a few queries regarding the Sky Powerline system.

Firstly; is the Sky Powerline system now operational ?

Second; is the Sky Powerline system likely to be fully compatible with the existing homeplugs that we already have on our home network ?

Thirdly; if the Sky Powerline system had been and/or is about to be enabled should we not have been issued with Sky Powerline plugs that we could use with the Sky powerline system ?

Since the 200Mbps homeplugs that we presently have are about 10 years old and one of the original four was removed from the system when it became defective, (a few months ago), we had been considerring updating them and buying four new 600Mbps homeplugs but the Sky Powerline option make that decision more difficult.

We would probably want to use the Sky Powerline system as soon as it is available but we are concerned that it could affect the existing homeplugs or visa versa.

When we asked the guy who installed the new Sky Q a few days ago about switching on the Sky Powerlines he said that they were not to be used yet but he did not seem to be very competent.

We then asked about providing and leaving us with more Sky Homeplugs for us to use after the switch on and he said that he would but he did not leave any before he rushed off. - We understand that the Sky Q Box and the Sky Q Mini Box uses its own power lead for Sky Powerline purposes but we want to continue to use homeplugs/powerlines for our other devices after the Sky Powerline system is switched on.

Does Sky supply separate powerline adapted for other devices in the home for use after the powerline switch on date ?

I was not at all impressed by the guy that sky sent to install Sky Q, (who is apparently the local Sky Q man for our area), as he seemed to have very limited technical ability, therefore, I have a few other queries regarding wireless such as the apparent need to keep always WPS switched on, (even after all the boxes are set up and linked wirelessly). - Why does WPS always have to be switched on ?

The Sky installation guy did not show us anything before he left. He was rushing and said that he was behind time and was obviously really struggling to get the Sky Q Mini Box to link with the main box, (which is actually located in a position 15 foot away from the router in a nearby room), in spite of the monsterous, huge, WHITE, (bigger than the mini box), WIFI booster box in the hall.

He said that we could not replace this unsightly WIFI Booster with a smaller, (eg. Netgear), dual band wireless AC booster that you can get from Amazon as that would be incompatible with the Sky Q system and that we could not connect the Mini Box to one of our homeplugs instead. As soon as he left, we plugged in a homeplug Ethernet cable to the Mini Box and we unplugged the unsightly Sky Q WIFI booster and the Mini Box was even happier. - Can we use a standard dual band WIFI booster ?

After he had left we realised that he had not shown us the new system and we had to work out how the system operated after he left and the first thing that we noticed was that the pictures stank in comparison to older 2 TB Sky HD Box which had great picture quality. - We corrected most of the picture resolution issues ourselves by switching the picture settings on the main box from 1080i to 2060P-10-bit and from 1080i to 1080P for the Sky Q Mini Box. etc..

Kindly advise regarding the Sky powerlines and the other queries.

Regards,
Fido

Sky Fibre
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Nov-16 14:13:23
Print Post

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

Firstly; is the Sky Powerline system now operational ?
Believe so

Second; is the Sky Powerline system likely to be fully compatible with the existing homeplugs that we already have on our home network ?
Should cause no issues if existing kit is AV2 standard, but may slow down other kit not to that standard.

Thirdly; if the Sky Powerline system had been and/or is about to be enabled should we not have been issued with Sky Powerline plugs that we could use with the Sky powerline system ?
My understanding was that the Sky Powerline is all about linking Sky Hub with Sky Q and Sky Q mini boxes, rather than a generic plug solution. Believe the spare Ethernet ports can be used on the Q mini once they are linked wirelessly or via the powerline.

On which wireless the minis work with, have not seen one to see what configuration control you have.

Mesh systems are all great in theory, but of the ones I've seen if they work fine, but many hide configuration options to make things simpler but when you go for non-standard mixtures of kit this can raise issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to