User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dbames
(newbie) Thu 27-Oct-16 19:14:45
Print Post

Moving to fibre - using own router during training period?

[link to this post]

I'm migrating from Sky LLU to Sky fibre. I currently use my own router (a Vigor 2860n) and plan to continue using this once fibre is up and running. I am aware of Sky's policy on this. I have already extracted the credentials from the new SR102 router.

Q: Should I reconfigure my own router and use that immediately from when the fibre service kicks in, or should I use Sky's router for the 10-day training period?

I've had a quick check in the forums and haven't come across anyone else asking this question, so would welcome thoughts. (The closest was http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/sky/f/4083181-migra... but this related to LLU rather than fibre back in 2012).

Thanks in advance.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 27-Oct-16 20:34:55
Print Post

Re: Moving to fibre - using own router during training perio

[re: dbames] [link to this post]

There is no 10 day training period on VDSL
Standard User dbames
(newbie) Fri 28-Oct-16 13:19:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

So in essence you're saying it doesn't matter which device I use from the point of activation then - which is good as I'll go straight in with my current router. smile

Though it seems no-one has told Sky that there isn't a 10 day training period for VDSL, as I got this information from them:

Sky Broadband - any product
o You must keep the Sky Broadband product you have chosen for the duration of your minimum term.
o [snip]
o On the first day, your line will start at its fastest possible speed and Dynamic Line Management will monitor the line for 24 hours. Depending on the line's stability, the speed will be adjusted then checked again in 24 hours. This will continue for up to ten days until it finds the most stable speed for your line so please leave your Sky Hub turned on for the first ten days. We do this to make sure you have the fastest speed your line can support on a stable connection and while we are testing, you may notice some variations in your broadband speed and your connection may be intermittent at times - this is normal.
o After the first ten days, if your actual Access Line Speed is significantly below your Guaranteed Minimum Access Line Speed estimate provided, please contact us and we will carry out our diagnostic and resolution processes to help improve your speed. If the steps we recommend cannot resolve the problem, you can leave your contract without penalty throughout the duration of your contract in accordance with Ofcom’s Voluntary Code of Practice on Broadband Speeds.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 28-Oct-16 13:22:19
Print Post

The 10 day training period only apples to ADSL
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Oct-16 14:05:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

And even then the DLM systems can and will adjust things up and down if conditions require it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Oct-16 16:24:03
Print Post

It is not that DLM does not run, it is that DLM runs always non-stop and makes adjustments whenever it feels necessary.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Oct-16 15:57:01
Print Post

Saves ink by typing it once for all products, whether correct or not!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
  Print Thread

Jump to