User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JonnyT
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-17 22:46:47
Print Post

Ethernet Internet into Sagem 2504

[link to this post]

I wanted to use my old sky router in my office to take our wired internet and create a wifi hotspot.

I've got an old Sky Sagem 2504 router but the wired connection in my office is only available via ethernet. As far as I can tell the router only uses it's 4 ethernet ports to output internet that comes in from the ADSL port.

Is there a way to configure the router to so that it detects internet from one of the ethernet ports and broadcasts it over wifi?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Feb-17 11:03:52
Print Post

Re: Ethernet Internet into Sagem 2504

[re: JonnyT] [link to this post]

You don't detect Internet as such, but you dumb down the router to be an access point, i.e. so anything seen on a LAN port is also available over the WiFi

IMPORTANT: Doing this in an office where those in charge have not given permission is risky in terms of being disciplined since there may be a very good reason they don't want the Ethernet network available over wireless.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Feb-17 11:41:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by JonnyT:
I've got an old Sky Sagem 2504 router but the wired connection in my office is only available via ethernet. As far as I can tell the router only uses it's 4 ethernet ports to output internet that comes in from the ADSL port.
If this is a corporate environment I would strongly advise against doing this. If it is a large firm there is a likelihood they conduct rogue Access Point detection of some kind.

Home APs are not to the same security standards as enterprise kit.

If this is a home office, it's easy enough to setup.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JonnyT
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-17 12:39:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Just for clarification, when I say "my office" I really mean my office. I absolutely have permission to do this.

Anyone care to walk me through the steps?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 16-Feb-17 13:13:47
Print Post

1. Set the IP address of the router to be outside of the DHCP range of your office
2. Turn off DHCP on the router
3. Plug an ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Feb-17 13:15:59
Print Post

In short:

1. Plug in the main Sky router
2. Plug in the Sagem Router and connect with Ethernet
3. On the Sagem router navigate to 192.168.0.1 (login with username: admin password: sky)
4. Find the Sagem WiFi details, name the SSID the same as the main Sky router
5. Find the Sagem WiFi password details, ensure the password is the same and the encryption type is the same. E.g. if the main sky router is WPA-2, ensure the Sagem is also WPA2 (and not something like wpa/wpa2 mixed mode).
6. On the WiFi channel, set the main Sky router to channel 1, the sagem to channel 11
7. On the Sagem, find the DHCP server, turn this off.
8. Now connect the Sagem to the main Sky router with an ethernet. IE plug an ethernet into port 1 on the main sky router, and ethernet into ethernet port 1 on the sagem.

If you need to setup the IP for the sagem, choose 192.168.0.250 (high enough to be away from DHCP).

It should now work fine.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 16-Feb-17 13:17:13)

Standard User JonnyT
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-17 15:14:37
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

That worked a treat guys. Thanks so much for your help.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Feb-17 15:22:47
Print Post

Great stuff! Glad to hear it smile
  Print Thread

Jump to