User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fido
(committed) Tue 28-Feb-17 12:37:57
Print Post

BTW Performance Test. - Stage 2 using phone number.

[link to this post]

I am with Sky Fibre but I still have an Openreach FTTC Line.

When I first joined Sky Fibre, (on an 40/20), profile over 3 months ago the broadband connection was really fast and snappy: I was getting a rock solid connection of almost 38mbps and the speed profile in the Sky Q router was 40/10.

At the present time the Sky Q router shows that the speed profile is capped at around 34mbps down and 8 mbps up. - (I have left it alone, it has been that way for over 6 weeks and the most that I get is just over 32mbps with a far less snappy connection than it was when I first joined Sky).

When I first joined Sky Fibre the BTW Performance Test did work fully and the second stage, (ie. the phone number stage), of the BTW Performance Test indicated that the Openreach IP profile for my line was 56mbps.

In between times I had quite a few issues with the TV side of Sky Q and I needed to reset the Sky Q router a few times, (especially when I contacted Sky online support as the line speed kept dropping and it automatically reset the router), which may have messed up my connection. - That said, when I contact Sky Technical Support and I ask them to carry out an IP profile reset of my line as if I was a new customer they said that it is not possible as it is controlled by BT/Openreach.

However, when I try the second stage, (ie. the phone number stage), of the BTW Performance Test find that I am blocked from finding out the IP Profile of my line is and I receive the message:

"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

Sky tell me that they do not have any equipment for my Fibre Line: the say that it is all down to Openreach, Sky say that they are not capping my connection; that it is all down to Openreach and they are unwilling to ask Openreach to carry out an IP Reset as if I was a new customer which seems to leave me stuck as I am until I leave them.

Previously when I phoned 17070 I had an Openreach Option of numbers to press and now when I phone 17070 I get a Sky American type voice and not the Openreach voice option that were previously there. - If Sky have nothing to do with it why is that the case. (It is a Sky phone and broadband service).

Sky say that they do not cap the speeds and that they have nothing to do with the operation of my line but the BTW Performance Test indicates that the information is being limited by my ISP.

What's going on ?

Fido

PS. One a partially separate issue; Openreach are rubbish and the broadband system in the UK is a joke. (Other countries in Europe get FTTP while the cretins in Westminster, (we are leaving Europe when we should have closed Westminster instead), still allow Openreach to control most of the broadband in the UK and will not allow other ISP's direct access to what should be a Nationalised Phone/Cable Network.

Sky Fibre
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Feb-17 13:59:02
Print Post

Re: BTW Performance Test. - Stage 2 using phone number.

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

The only way to get a DLM reset is to have an Openreach engineer visit.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Feb-17 14:13:34
Print Post

BT Wholesale is NOT Openreach, so explains the issue with the numbers

The way 17070 is behaving confirms your voice service is terminating on Sky hardware now

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Feb-17 14:30:01
Print Post

There is no IP Profile on a Sky line. Only BT Wholesale lines have an IP Profile.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-17 14:47:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

There are a couple of ways an ISP can do it...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Feb-17 15:10:11
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
There are a couple of ways an ISP can do it...
Do what?
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-17 15:18:25
Print Post

Make a change which will reset DLM.
Standard User Fido
(committed) Tue 28-Feb-17 15:38:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The only way to get a DLM reset is to have an Openreach engineer visit.

Sky refuse to arrange an Openreach engineer visit because they say the connection speed is usual above the minimum that they say is 31mbps.

From the Sky Router the information regarding connection speed, line attenuation and noise margin is;

Broadband Link

Downstream
Upstream
Connection Speed
34999 kbps (down)
8554 kbps (up)

Line Attenuation
24.4 dB (down)
0.0 dB (up)

Noise Margin
9.6 dB (down)
6.6 dB (up)

I have given it six weeks in the hope that the DLM would reset back to a 40/10 profile but it seems to be stuck.

What can be done ?

Fido

Sky Fibre
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Feb-17 15:48:12
Print Post

Change of product /speed is one,( 40/10>80/20>40/10 or GEA to Wholesale and the reverse ) not sure if changing the DLM stability profile would also trigger a full DLM reset or not,
Standard User Fido
(committed) Tue 28-Feb-17 15:49:37
Print Post

How can I make a change that will initiate a DLM reset ?

Today, I have just obtained a new Sky Q Router and I have tried that in the hope that a different MAC address would reset the DLM.

However, although it did at first seem to get faster a minute while the new router bedded in then it was as if the Sky system automatically put the brakes onto the new router as it ended up with the same stats as the old one.

How can I initiate a DLM reset ?

Fido

Sky Fibre
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to