User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-May-17 08:38:44
Print Post

Re: Unable to get high speeds on Fibre

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Mine was because the estate I live on was built about 40 years after the existing houses. So, the ducts already followed the main road of the estate and to go direct would mean putting the cables under the existing houses. As developments build up this sort of thing happens and when my house was built 20 odd years ago it didn't matter as telephony was not distance dependent.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 25-May-17 08:52:47
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I hit on another problem trying to get a new line put in for work because I work from home. There's been a waiting list for fibre since December but ADSL is just about doable. Anyways, it appears there aren't any spare lines on the estate so no new line and speaking to the people that were the last to move in are still waiting for phone lines. I would love how Openreach could make such a fundamental mistake.

I checked the DSL checker and there a 7 properties showing no ADSL information and these are showing as "We are exploring solutions" on the Openreach site. The funny thing about it all was before the estate was completed there was a "temporary" cable put in for the sales and site offices and some of the properties, including mine, were accidentally connected to it. This cable was removed when the sales office was dismantled. I think they should have left it in place.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Thu 25-May-17 09:40:32
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

simon

this is no where simple and your think it is

I suggest ita do with how the site was called off by developer to Openreach, if the developer is building say 200 homes and only asks for 100 from Openreach you look at the network to the 100 asked for and deploy those in accordance with the planning rusel -- -- what then tended to happen is developer then asks for a nother 100 -- and you have to then bring copper to the site from another place or a much greater distance -- and what tended to happen then In no phone lines when people move in - here as if they had asked for 200 in the first place you would have made adequete provision at the start

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Tue 13-Jun-17 18:38:18
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Openreach were involved right from the start because it was only a development of 80 properties in total and the services plan shows all the OR chambers. The Phase 2 properties in the second part of the phase were all listed in the DSL checker at least 6 months before they even started building.

There are a couple of properties in Phase 1 that have two lines but that shouldn't have created a 7 line short fall. I think it's because there were originally two cables coming onto the development via two different routes which were both connected through the same chamber that someone had assumed there was enough capacity.
Standard User loaderladdy
(newbie) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:34:01
Print Post

[re: Bamster] [link to this post]

Hi,

Don’t know if you managed to resolve this issue, but if you want to see what speeds that BT thinks it can deliver to your home then try this URL to the BT Wholesale ADSL Checker:

BT Wholesale ADSL Checker

You will have to use the “Address Checker” not the “Telephone Number” checker, because that only works for BT customers, while the Address Checker gives an approximation of BT”s view of your available speed for both clean and impacted telephone lines. It gives you 2 ranges of available speeds for up and down.

If one of your neighbours has a BT line stick that in and you’ll get a view of the type of speed they can get, which, all things being equal, should be the same or similar to what you should be able to get.

Good luck.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to