User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 13-Jul-17 16:19:08
Print Post

Re: Loss of Sky ADSL and phone service

[re: packetman] [link to this post]

I am back online now but its not all good news.

I rang sky this morning and got someone who was a bit a of a mardy [censored] shouting at me to wait the full 5 days and openreach are still working on it.

Then earlier today I noticed my modem had the sync light on so I tried to get back online but couldnt connect to sky, but left my router retrying.

Eventually it succeeded and I am now back online, also the sync speed is the highest I have had since the very first week I had vdsl on the brand new cabinet. However my snrm is pulsating up and down.

Sky then rang me out of the blue to inform me it will be down another 3 days due to damage at the cabinet which openreach are repairing, I told sky I am back online but of course we both agreed given openreach have not given the all clear it may go down again. So I expect both the pulsating and the high sync speed is probably due to the ongoing work and not all disturbers reconnected.

Aside from the mardy guy this morning overall I think sky tech support have been ok on this giving me information and ringing me back, they have also already told me I will be compensated for the downtime.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User packetman
(member) Wed 26-Jul-17 18:45:10
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Just to give an update on the original post. In the end, after they had been in the impasse for nearly a week with no service, I went down and took the picture of the socket with my smartphone and uploaded it using mobile data. There was then further procrastination and I got involved with Sky myself. They confirmed that there was a fault but their tests showed the fault was within the premises. This was despite the fault being present on the hidden socket behind the faceplate on the master socket.

They then eventually said they would arrange for a BT OR engineer to come out but my sister-in-law would have to pay as the fault was in the premises. They would refund the money if the fault proved to be outside. They would do it for free, however, if she signed a new contract! Needless to say this wasn't going to happen! Eventually after threats of OFCOM involvement, Sky relented and arranged for an engineer to come out free.

The engineer arrived a couple of days later and found that the next door neighbour had someone in to cut their trees the previous week and they had managed to cut through the phone wire where it ran over their property. I should have gone out and had a proper look! Anyway, all fixed now, but it was like pulling teeth. All this was done on Facebook Messenger, couldn't get to talk to a person. They are now looking at changing provider! Thanks for everyone's help and comments.
Standard User leexgx
(committed) Wed 26-Jul-17 18:57:28
Print Post

seems very over complicated , never had an issue ringing them directly before, not sure why you had issues

and the charge they said is only if its past the master socket in the house (up to the phone point its Openreach problem if its faulty they replace it) in your case outside observation is useful

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 961a
(member) Wed 26-Jul-17 19:41:18
Print Post

Glad it's sorted

What a carry on!

Some of these call centre folk will do anything to persuade the customer they have done something wrong and stop pursuing the complaint
Standard User fishpan
(regular) Wed 26-Jul-17 20:04:49
Print Post

Hi, I had this issue as well with Sky - not being able to speak directly to a human being and instead being redirected to Messenger.

The trick is to hide caller ID on the mobile phone you are using - either in the phone settings or by dialling 141 prefix in front of the support number - both can work.

Instead of the usual spiel about using Messenger etc - you will be given a choice of Messenger which you just say "No" to on the phone and the robot lady will put you through to a real person.

Hope this helps in the future for anyone wanting to speak to a Sky tech support human.

Sky Fibre Max 80/20 - sync 62500/19999 around 450m (G.INP disabled 08/06/17 due to line fault)
MyDSLWebStats: fishpan
Prev ISP Hx: Freeserve 48k > Wanadoo 56k > Tiscali 8mbps > TalkTalk 40/10 > Plusnet 80/20 > VM 200/20 > Plusnet 80/20
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 26-Jul-17 20:06:24
Print Post

[re: fishpan] [link to this post]

When I rang sky they did push the messenger service, but I simply said no to both times they asked and then got put through to the call centre.

I never withheld caller id.

Standard User fishpan
(regular) Wed 26-Jul-17 20:10:12
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

With myself, I was always redirected to Messenger with no choice - the line went always dead after they sent the text for the Messenger help thing.

Once I used a different phone, I realised that the same number worked and I could ignore the Messenger suggestion just like yourself and got through to a human promptly.

I then went back to my original mobile phone and withheld caller ID and magically, I could ignore the Messenger prompts. Once I enabled caller ID back again, I could not ignore the Messenger suggestion and the line went dead as usual.

I think they somehow link your mobile number into their system so that when you ring up, that number is recognised and automatically redirected to the messenger text. I strongly suggest the OP try this in future.

Sky Fibre Max 80/20 - sync 62500/19999 around 450m (G.INP disabled 08/06/17 due to line fault)
MyDSLWebStats: fishpan
Prev ISP Hx: Freeserve 48k > Wanadoo 56k > Tiscali 8mbps > TalkTalk 40/10 > Plusnet 80/20 > VM 200/20 > Plusnet 80/20
Standard User packetman
(member) Wed 26-Jul-17 20:58:10
Print Post

Thanks very much for the comments. I can verify there was no option of speaking to a person when phoning, just the messenger response and it cut off. I'll bear this caller ID thing in mind if in this situation again (please, no!!) It seemed to me that Sky were doing everything in their power to delay things and not send someone out, hoping the account holder would give up and find after all that having no phone or Internet service and continuing paying for it was acceptable! As for the photo thing, don't get me started! My sister-in-law and husband are now trying to get a refund for over a week with no service, good luck with that!
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 26-Jul-17 21:20:29
Print Post

I wonder if you accept the messenger option just once (either deliberately or accidentally) you then always get diverted when that number matches on caller id. Thats my theory.

For reference my fault was a car flattened the vdsl cabinet, it got back online after about half a week but was then running on batteries for about 2 weeks, an outage occurred everytime the batteries ran out and got swapped, power got reconnected last weekend.

Sky refunded me for all the days I had problems without arguing. The refund is a % of the monthly cost matching the days offline, so e.g. a 2 week fault would be a 50% monthly refund. I am still a bit out of pocket as the refund isnt quite what I paid EE for data but its only a few £ difference so am ok with it.

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 26-Jul-17 21:23:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to