User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pmgreenwood
(newbie) Mon 21-Aug-17 21:14:33
Print Post

Queries on move to Sky Max Fibre and Sky Q hub and TV boxes

[link to this post]

Three years later than Openreach initially estimated, fibre has finally reached my street telephone cabinet. So the time has come to move from Sky Broadband unlimited and a Sky plus HD box to Sky Fibre (probably Max Unlimited) and Sky Q with a Sky Q hub and one Q mini.
Before ordering I am considering doing/having done some Cat 6 wiring in the house. If the Q hub Q 2tb main box and Mini Q are all hard Cat 6 wired do they still help form a wifi mesh network in the house?
Alternatively, if I rely on the wifi connection from/mesh network between the sky q hub to the main Q TV box and Q mini boxes will they, if ethernet cable attached to tv box to network switches, act as wifi access points to devices that are close but currently have only ethernet connection? On previous experience with ADSL I have preferred one close wifi access point with cabling via switch to nearby items that need internet access than giving each item its own wifi adapter.
My understanding is that powerline networking will not work in the house as I have a fairly new Consumer box with RCBOs on each circuit giving surge protection.

Paul Greenwood
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Sep-17 10:35:01
Print Post

Re: Queries on move to Sky Max Fibre and Sky Q hub and TV bo

[re: pmgreenwood] [link to this post]

Hello

You can't hard wire the mini box, it has no Ethernet port. (mine does not anyway)

I have the 2TB Q box and 1 Q Mini box.

The Mini box uses internal bandwidth to stream from the Q box. I've actually turned the internet off and it's still worked flawlessly.

I have my Q box connected via Ethernet and a powerline adapter. It works fine all the time. I have my Powerline adapter plugged into a brand new Belkin hub with surge protection, works fine as I said.

I don't have Fibre with Sky ( I have Talk Talk Business) but thats a moot point.

Edit - Correction, mine does have an Ethernet port but it's covered and says it's for future use

Edited by 23Prince (Sat 02-Sep-17 10:36:39)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 02-Sep-17 10:53:36
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Hello

You can't hard wire the mini box, it has no Ethernet port. (mine does not anyway)
It does and you can. Mine is

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Sep-17 11:14:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Hello

It does and you can. Mine is

Fair enough. I don't use it then. It does make sense to have one that can be used!
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Wed 13-Sep-17 10:47:52
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

The ethernet port on the mini has a black plastic plug in it. You just need to remove it.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Sep-17 10:55:32
Print Post

My experience is the mesh network over wifi slows things down but works nicely and gives good coverage. For full speeds use Ethernet if you just want wifi all over that works nicely don't worry.

The problem I find with the mesh network is it'll try and steer clients to use 2.4ghz so the boxes can use 5Ghz to connect to one another and transmit tv data. This I personally don't like.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Sep-17 10:57:21
Print Post

Bit of info here not sure how accurate

http://www.wi-fi360.com/airties-can-finally-talk-ope...
Standard User pmgreenwood
(newbie) Tue 19-Sep-17 10:51:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thank you, very useful

Paul Greenwood
  Print Thread

Jump to