User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gravy
(regular) Thu 19-Oct-17 11:05:49
Print Post

Move to Sky (or PlusNet)

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have Sky Q TV but currently with Daisy BB. Soon to move, was thinking of moving to Sky for the Max Fibre package but I noticed in the Broadband comparison page PlusNet comes out better than Sky.

As the forum is often full of posts when people are not happy, it's sometimes hard to get a clear picture of a provider.

Has anyone moved recently from PN to Sky? If so, why?

Thanks for your feedback.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Oct-17 11:21:02
Print Post

Re: Move to Sky (or PlusNet)

[re: Gravy] [link to this post]

Sky get a lot less noise here - in fact this forum has been deathly quiet for a long time. That may be because most Sky subscribers don't visit the forum or it may be they have better support and so people don't get frustrated enough to find an alternative support route.

This might help a little.

For info I am not with Sky or PlusNet at the moment but have been with both in the past - PlusNet were great in the early days when they were aimed at a more technical market. They have been through a lot of ups and downs since I left and personally I wouldn't go back to them even now.
Standard User Gravy
(regular) Thu 19-Oct-17 12:01:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks Ian.

I agree with your account of plusnet in the early days. I too was with them, they had very good tech support, ideal for those that knew enough too be dangerous.

Thanks

Graham

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Thu 19-Oct-17 23:11:31
Print Post

The reason why you probably don't hear much from Sky users on here, is because when you Google a problem the top pages direct you straight to Sky's help forum. I recently moved from PlusNet as my contract was up and Sky were significantly cheaper. If you access their help forum there is one thing that comes up time and time again, and that is, if you are lucky to get through to their Customer Service team, they are consistently unhelpful, sometimes give a attitude, and aren't clued up on resolving the basic of problems. If you have Sky Q TV and you have existing wifi extenders/access points this is also a reason to avoid Sky fibre due to Sky Qs mesh and the lack of people around who know how it works, and what the symptoms are when it's not set up correctly.
I went with them because they came out the cheapest. I am lucky in that I have a reliable phone line/fibre connection. If you go on the forum and see the amount of people who have a disrupted service with no promise of it being resolved anytime soon, you will start to get a feel of how badly you are looked after when things go wrong... Hope this helps smile
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Oct-17 04:55:07
Print Post

Just coming to the end of a 12 month contract with Sky. No real problems: perhaps I've just been lucky?

Was with Plusnet before that and have tried to rejoin them, but they make things so difficult it is amazing how they get customers in the first place!

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Sky via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User mbames
(member) Fri 20-Oct-17 15:04:12
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

I'm a long term Sky user, and I really can't fault the service. Even using my own kit instead of Sky's stuff (which can be a bit rubbish). Only issue i've experienced was a line card failure in the exchange at about 2.00am (I was working nights remotely), and that was fixed the next morning.

My parents used to be on PlusNet, but they moved a while ago. Unfortunately plusnets customer service (one of their 'selling points') is no longer what it used to be. In contrast, I've spoken to Sky only 2 or 3 times in 6-7 years and the problem has always been resolved within a matter of minutes.

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User billd
(learned) Fri 20-Oct-17 16:42:58
Print Post

Gravy,

I have been round almost every ISP over the last lot of years mostly because I live in the sticks and decent broadband out here is not a priority for them. On adsl when everyone else could only average 1-2mbps Sky managed to sort out 5mbps. Eventually We got FTTC and on Sky 38mbps it never went lower than 37mbps. Now moved onto Sky FTTC pro and getting 55mbps minimum. Their customer service is excellent. My neighbour is with plusnet and is trying to get out of the contract after 8 weeks of a nightmare. Sky in my opinion are better than average.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Oct-17 10:16:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Gravy:
Hi,

I have Sky Q TV but currently with Daisy BB. Soon to move, was thinking of moving to Sky for the Max Fibre package but I noticed in the Broadband comparison page PlusNet comes out better than Sky.

As the forum is often full of posts when people are not happy, it's sometimes hard to get a clear picture of a provider.

Has anyone moved recently from PN to Sky? If so, why?

Thanks for your feedback.

Was with Talk Talk Business, also had NowTV broadband (which is basically sky) on another line and it was rubbish. I went from TTB to Plusnet and it's identical to the BT Infinity line I had in the past (so far) solid and full 80/20 speed 24/7
Standard User stonechat
(member) Mon 23-Oct-17 13:19:19
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I used to be with PlusNet (mostly early days but also for a brief period when we needed short term contract)
They used to be good.

Was concerned when I heard that BT had taken them over

I was on O2 which was then taken over by Sky. Performance has been very poor.

Looking now to go to FTTC but not clear who to go to - definitely not Sky!
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 26-Oct-17 08:18:18
Print Post

[re: dwg1] [link to this post]

I've been with Sky for broadband for over 10 years now and I've never had any issues with their customer services. If you do need to contact CS the trick is to make sure you use the correct number because they have a different number for reporting phone faults to that for broadband faults.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to