User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 09:35:32
Print Post

Re: Move to Sky (or PlusNet)

[re: stonechat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stonechat:
Was concerned when I heard that BT had taken them over

That was 10 years ago roughly. I worked there when that happened. didn't seem to affect it much. These days I can only go on my experience, but its the same as my Infinity one was (so far) and that was full speed all the time. I am sure there will be gateway problems and outages, But there you go.

Any FTTC provider who uses BTW should work the same as Infinity - that's my view anyway
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Oct-17 11:01:12
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

A simple view, since even for two BTW providers there are things they can do that influence that actual internet experience. Hence why ISP A can have congestion one day but ISP C not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 13:40:03
Print Post

[re: Gravy] [link to this post]

Be aware that if you swap from a BT provider to a non-BT one or indeed from a non-BT one to a BT one you might be charged and again if you later swap back again.

There seems to be no rule as to if these charges are passed on to customers or not and the whole market is "shrouded in secret" as to who the providers are. BT and Plusnet are definately BT based and Sky is definately not BT based, but what about the others? Some are resellers of other ISPs products, but don't follow those providers "rules".

Not really as simple as Ofcom would make out really. wink

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Sky via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Oct-17 16:25:18
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Other than to add I flip flop my second line between providers and have never had a cease fee charged by the losing provider, or a setup fee greater than that advertised charged.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Oct-17 20:19:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
Be aware that if you swap from a BT provider to a non-BT one or indeed from a non-BT one to a BT one you might be charged and again if you later swap back again.

There seems to be no rule as to if these charges are passed on to customers or not and the whole market is "shrouded in secret" as to who the providers are. BT and Plusnet are definately BT based and Sky is definately not BT based, but what about the others? Some are resellers of other ISPs products, but don't follow those providers "rules".

Not really as simple as Ofcom would make out really. wink
I have had the following providers in the past 9ish years.

Sky - virginmedia -sky - talktalk - BT - BT(home move) - virginmedia - BT - TalkTalk - Sky

Never once had a cease fee or a charge for switching. I have never touched plusnet.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Oct-17 18:15:40
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Never once had a cease fee or a charge for switching. I have never touched plusnet.

Looks like Plusnet are the only ones doing this then.

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Oct-17 18:16:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Other than to add I flip flop my second line between providers and have never had a cease fee charged by the losing provider, or a setup fee greater than that advertised charged.

I assume you have never had Plusnet as your ISP? wink

===========
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 27-Oct-17 19:12:11
Print Post

Or always stayed within BT Wholesale?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Nov-17 20:39:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

£30 cessation fee, always been there since before I started, which was 2007 - inception

Never going to change. Migration in and out is always the best and cheapest way with them!

Edit - used to be £25 until Greedy BT barged in

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 06-Nov-17 20:39:33)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to