User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dgm
(regular) Sat 06-Jan-18 23:27:08
Print Post

Sky Q Router

[link to this post]

Is anyone else feeling under whelmed by the speed of the WiFi ?

I tested the WiFi at my Dad's BT Fibre using Ookla SpeedTest app and got 70+ Mb

On the QBox at home I got 25 Mb.

Using this sites speed test (wired) I got 61.5 - 71.3

Edited by dgm (Sat 06-Jan-18 23:27:47)

Standard User tomse43
(regular) Sun 07-Jan-18 16:18:53
Print Post

Re: Sky Q Router

[re: dgm] [link to this post]

I'm running a Sky Q Router (ER115) and not had any issues with WiFi. Here's a speedtest.net test from a couple of months ago, which is pretty much on-par with what my router statistics show (On 40/10 Sky Fibre Unlimited). Just done a speedtest right now and got pretty much the same result but with a couple of others using the internet it wasn't quite as good of a representation.

It could be you have some interference somewhere, especially over the 2.4GHz band. Perhaps you were connecting via 5GHz at your dad's house and it makes the speeds much quicker. I know 2.4GHz causes issues for me at my house, with the cordless phones etc.

Because an Ethernet connection isn't a option for me I have a fairly high-end (And expensive!) WiFi card (ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100) in my PC which is definitley overkill for just a Sky Q router but it works great over 5GHz and never had any slowdown or issues. Mainly wanted it for the external antenna's so I can position them more towards the router.

Edited by tomse43 (Sun 07-Jan-18 16:20:59)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jan-18 20:02:33
Print Post

I had the Sky Q router for a few months when I had 80/20 service...

I did find the wireless on it to be a bit 'meh' compared to the competition but wasn't terrible.

However... I don't remember correctly if the default bandwidth setting for the 5Ghz band was 40mhz/80mhz... I remember being quite annoyed by the lack of support for Band II 5G channels and ability to only choose channel 36 for 80Mhz AC or 36/44 for 40Mhz.

However I used a 4x4 Asus Access point in order to get AC wireless speeds up to 1700mbps and also used channels 100+ with the router so everything other than Sonos speaker connected to that.

I since moved and now 'have' to use Virgin Media, pro to that though is the wireless chipset on Super Hub 2ac is awesome.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jan-18 17:27:16
Print Post

Split the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands. Test on 5Ghz.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 08-Jan-18 17:27:26)

Print Thread

Jump to