User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User skz
(newbie) Sat 10-Feb-18 16:56:10
Print Post

Extracting ADSL password from Sky Q router (ER115)

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm switching to Sky ADSL2+ broadband and I have received Sky Q ER115 router. I want to use my own router/modem when it goes live. I have found various instructions for Sky broadband user name and password extraction, but it's not always clear to me whether it's for ADSL or VDSL, and which router it's for.

The broadband package I have is ADSL2+ broadband with Sky Q ER115 router.

1. Could someone please confirm the right way to extract ADSL password?

2. What's the protocol, PPPoA or MER/EthoA?

3. Do I need to use Wireshark to capture the traffic and look for DHCP options (which I think is for MER)?

4. Is it advisable to use the generic ADSL account install@o2broadband.co.uk , any pros and cons?

5. Can I extract the password before the line switches to Sky (I'm currently with another ADSL provider)

I have another question about ADSL line profile, does Sky use FastPath or Interleaved mode? Would they change the profile to FastPath if a customer asks for it? Additionally do they have several noise margin profiles for customers to choose from? When I was with TalkTalk a few years ago, they allowed customers to choose FastPath/Interleaved as well as target noise margin.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Mon 12-Feb-18 08:13:03
Print Post

Re: Extracting ADSL password from Sky Q router (ER115)

[re: skz] [link to this post]

On Sky Fibre you have to use the router Sky provide. You can always piggyback your own router on the Sky router and there's plenty of How-To's on the internet.

Unlike ADSL, Sky have no control over DLM so whether your connection is on Fastpath or Interleaved is down to the quality of your line. If the line syncs at the full package speed it will probably remain on Fastpath but it's not guaranteed. The latency is a reasonably good indicator as to whether DLM has applied interleaving. On fastpath the latecy is typically less than 10ms and as interleaving is applied the latency increases in 8ms steps.

On fibre DLM starts at them maximum speed possible and the adjusts downwards until it reaches a stable speed. This is usually completed within 3 days not the 10 days you would have been told when you ordered.
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Mon 12-Feb-18 08:38:04
Print Post

Hi,

I set one up for my friend recently and this is the details I used,

Encapsulation: PPPoA (PPP over ATM)

Does your internet connection require a log in?: Yes

Password: Not required (leave blank)

login/username: install@o2broadband.co.uk

MTU: 1500

Idle Timeout: 0

Internet IP Address: Get Dynamically from ISP

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address: Get Automatically From ISP

NAT: Enable

Multiplexing Method: VC-BASED

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Thats for a standard NON fibre Sky broadband.

As for fastpath or interleaved I would imagine a new connection will depend on the stability and errors on the line, reboots of your router can cause it to go interleaved, so I recommend fully configuring your replacement router before plugging it in and then leave it on with as minimum reboots as possible.
Some routers dont allow an MTU of 1500 so I've had to use 1492 before.
Hope that helps.

Edited by gmangt4 (Mon 12-Feb-18 08:41:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Mon 12-Feb-18 09:53:27
Print Post

To be able to officially use a non sky router you could always pay for the broandband pro option, this will also give you control over the fastpath (they call it gaming mode). It also lets you have a fixed IP address and you can control the SNR.
Also with sky ADSL you can ask them to make your line authenticate with PPPoE instead of PPPoA if you wish.
I have found the broadband pro help desk to be a lot more understanding with things also, the other week when my line was having a bit of a freak out, they spent ages on the phone with me changing the profiles etc to get it stable. Then when it eventually went back to normal they changed the profiles back to how they were.
I got my username/password ages ago with wireshark, took about 5 mins, any of the guides should be good enough.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Feb-18 15:05:19
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
To be able to officially use a non sky router you could always pay for the broandband pro option

All Sky ADSL2+ connections are officially allowed to use a non-Sky router.

Oliver.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Mon 12-Feb-18 20:00:38
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Yes I see that now in the Terms & Conditions.
It never used to be I thought.

Edited by Rolandrat (Mon 12-Feb-18 20:09:46)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Feb-18 20:37:51
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
It never used to be I thought.

T&C changed a few years ago so that O2/BE migrants could use O2/BE hardware on Sky.

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to