User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dermotoh
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-18 18:07:07
Print Post

What is an acceptable uptime on router

[link to this post]

After many Openreach visits I now have a functional Sky Fibre unlimited connection with Sky Q box.

I continue to monitor the connection, while it is OK I am still getting 1 or 2 dropouts per day. I cannot see a pattern. Is this acceptable, if there a minimum acceptable uptime for Sky Broadband ?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Apr-18 18:21:06
Print Post

Re: What is an acceptable uptime on router

[re: dermotoh] [link to this post]

Uptime, as in router crashes falls over and cannot be accessed at all? Should be many many weeks for that.

If the dropouts are resyncs of the VDSL2 connection then 1 or 2 a day is likely to just wait on the DLM system to intervene and reduce speeds, add error correction etc to reduce the level of these.

So is there a documented minimum up time? NO

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alankru
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-18 19:24:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by dermotoh:
I continue to monitor the connection, while it is OK I am still getting 1 or 2 dropouts per day.

Are you interpreting your BQM graph correctly?
The red spikes of packet loss are not going all of the way to the bottom, so it doesn't appear that you are re-syncing (your router logs will tell you either way).

Read: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/broadband-quality...
Under heading "What should I see if my connection is idle and running well?":
The BQM will usually show a red line that is one or two pixels wide stretching from the top to the bottom of the graph if a router is re-syncing.

and further information under heading "Re-sync".

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dermotoh
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-18 08:00:24
Print Post

[re: alankru] [link to this post]

The router log shows these red dips correspond to resyncs of the VDSL2 connection. It takes just over 60 secs to resync. Perhaps the polling time is on the monitor is on the same timescale so it does not show full drop out.

I need to read up on re-sync... is it common ? I have an option of another OpenReach visit tomorrow , is it worth it ?
Standard User dermotoh
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-18 08:49:46
Print Post

Just to add the downstream noise margin this morning is 8.3dB for my 40Mb connection.
Is this a bit high, I am close to the cabinet. Does Sky have a target noise margin for their Fibre Unlimited offering ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Apr-18 10:01:46
Print Post

BQM polls once a second and each pixel on graph is 100 seconds, so if resyncing in 60 seconds that is fairly fast for VDSL2 (can take two minutes)

A resync a day is something you don't want, but its not uncommon. Reasons such as interference from local equipment in the home, and presence of extension wiring picking up the noise all can increase the amount of resyncs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to