User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-May-18 15:44:32
Print Post

fault that wont go away. plus unfair charges

[link to this post]

Connection Speed 39244 kbps 8039 kbps
Line Attenuation 22.2 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 6.6 dB

After 5 engineers and one arriving with no warning today my line appears to be back at its 40meg. However
speed tests always lock at 25meg exactly like I am capped. I have had a external line fault for over a month. Hopefully today it is fixed.

Questions I have are

1: is my line going to stay super stable like it used to and go to max speed (used to always be 39999kbit down and 9999kbit up)
2: Sky say they charge £65 per engineer if your out of contract but you can get a refund if its found external. The fault was external in fact I was moved to a new phoneline according to openreach.

Am I going to be charged £65 x 5 and then have to ask Sky for refund due to it being proved an external fault.

I was meant to go out today but the surprise zero warning engineer visit prevented it costing me money. I have also used up a lot of Mobile phone credit in terms of text messages contacting Sky while landline noise was too insane to use it.

Is this normal?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-May-18 18:37:48
Print Post

Re: fault that wont go away. plus unfair charges

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

Charges for no fault visits are not unusual, but if a fault that is not down to you is found then usually no charge.

If they try and charge when finally someone fixed it then you need to challenge the charges.

On the text messages - that is down to chasing for compensation for the fault period, the fixed compensation amounts are not in place just yet.

NOTE: There should be no IP Profile system as this is Sky so why stuck at 25 Mbps throughput is a puzzle again you need to pester Sky.

On going to 39,999 you might the 700 Kbps difference is only a small change in conditions. If the DLM was reset after fault cleared then its sit and wait to see what happens.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-May-18 10:13:05
Print Post

Re: fault that wont go away. plus unfair charges

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your advice. As of lastnight It reconnected itself my upload slowed however download sync speed changed to 40000mbit and this time I am getting full speed. Magical artificial cap has fixed "itself"

Thanks for your help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to