User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gysr
(newbie) Wed 06-Jun-18 22:42:35
Print Post

FastPath-should I disconnect the phone line on switching day

[link to this post]

I'm switching to Sky ADSL2+. My line used to be on FastPath until three weeks ago. I'd like to move back to FastPath after switching to Sky. I'll configure my router/modem using Sky user name before the switch to avoid restarts after the switch.

Would the line be disconnected and reconnected multiple times during the switch causing DLM to put my line in slow/high latency mode? I'm thinking maybe I should disconnect the phone line the night before the switch and connect it back in the evening the next day when the switch is likely to have finished. Would that increase the probability of getting FastPath?

Is there a way for Sky to cap the speed of my broadband so that the line would become very stable making FastPath more likely?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Jun-18 09:02:46
Print Post

Re: FastPath-should I disconnect the phone line on switching

[re: gysr] [link to this post]

Sky use their own DSLAM and their algorithm starts lines at around 4 Mbps sync and seeks out the maximum they think you will manage.

The switch overs thus have no impact on the BT Wholesale DLM since you are leaving it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gysr
(newbie) Thu 07-Jun-18 11:07:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So what do I need to do to increase the probability of getting FastPath? Will the line be disconnected and reconnected during the switch that would affect DLM? If my line is put in Interleaved mode due to temporary disconnection/reconnection, would it be possible to ask Sky to reset DLM?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Jun-18 11:36:38
Print Post

[re: gysr] [link to this post]

No idea the Sky DLM is a black box mystery largely, resets used to possible for Sky Pro users but largely it is left to its own devices.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jun-18 11:48:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not sure whether it's still the case but in the past there was no fast path on Sky DLM by default, interleave used to protect video services.
  Print Thread

Jump to