User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DoomWolf
(regular) Thu 14-Jun-18 17:24:34
Print Post

Fibre Connection Vanished

[link to this post]

I have a Sky Fibre Max connection that is normally rock solid. It recently spent six weeks connected at 80,000 Mbps down /19,999 Mbps up without dropping the connection. It only finally dropped and reconnected last week due to a brief power cut.

On Tuesday this week I returned home from holiday at around midday. At 12:40, as I was unpacking and putting stuff away, my house alarm started beeping to indicate that it had lost connection to the phone line. I picked up my phone to check if there was any dialling tone and hear a clunk...cluck sound 3 or 4 times and then the dialling tone returned. I looked at my Sky Hub and saw all the lights still on so thought everything was still connected. As I was busy it was another half an hour before I picked up my iPad to check my email. It was then I realised my connection was down. On checking my PC running Router Stats I could see it had dropped at the time of the line issue.

The internet light on the router stays off (but has gone orange a couple of times) and no amount of rebooting makes a difference. It doesn't appear to make any attempt to connect and appears to behave as if there is no fibre connection at all. My personal theory is that an Openreach engineer working on something has inadvertently disconnected my connection either at the exchange or the cabinet.

I rang Sky and they ran their tests. It did actually pass the line test, but the agent offered to arrange an Openreach engineer for the next day, with the requirement that someone be home (no weekend appointments with Openreach). As we'd been away for two weeks, that wasn't going to be possible so I said I'd need to speak to work to arrange something and the agent said he'd add the notes to my account and to ring back when I could arrange a suitable date.

The following day my boss agreed that I could book a day off at short notice and I got back in touch with Sky via their SMS chat service. The agent there had to run all the tests again (same result) but said she couldn't arrange an engineer until I was home for them to do further tests (that had already been done the previous day). Despite using a pre-filtered faceplate (BT Mk. 2 that a BT engineer fitted a few years ago after previous ADSL issues) I'd also tested via the test socket to rule out internal issues, but she still insisted on me calling them from home.

I then called them again on my lunch break and spoke to another agent who ran the line tests again, with the same result of it passing. She then offered to send an engineer on Sunday. I asked if this would be an Openreach engineer, but was told this would be a Sky Broadband engineer as they couldn't escalate to Openreach at this point, despite them offering to do just that 24 hours earlier. She told me that they have to do this to rule out internal wiring issues and the possibility that the router is at fault. I'm not sure how likely it is to be the router given it happened at the same time as an issue on the voice line, unless it's somehow caused a power surge that has blown the modem in the router that works fine otherwise. Is that a possible scenario?

As it stands, I have no internet until at least Sunday and am realising just how reliant on the internet my smart home devices actually are. I much preferred the old Be Bulgarian support team when I was on Be and then Sky Broadband Pro. How long does it take to actually get an issue escalated to Openreach?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Jun-18 17:55:09
Print Post

Re: Fibre Connection Vanished

[re: DoomWolf] [link to this post]

Assume the phone line is now working, but no sync reported by the modem.

When Sky says their tests are OK, if they are seeing sync and you are not, suggests the connection has been mistakenly moved to another home or their fault system cannot spot that your modem is not connected.

NOTE: The Sky person attending is their way of avoiding the 'no fault' charge from Openreach, on clear and obvious faults this is annoying, but they've probably had enough people who do have simple issues that a third party will quickly fix.

Faults can be raised with Openreach the same day, and then its down to the service level the provider buys.

Even if the fault is the router, you pay for that through the service and the quick way for providers to prove its not that is send out a next day replacement, with a return bag for the duff one if the replacement does work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DoomWolf
(regular) Fri 15-Jun-18 10:03:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, the phone line is fine, Sky Hub showing nothing but a disconnected status.

My worry is that BT have either removed my connection or, as you say, moved it to someone else. If that's the case, will I have an issue getting it back, particularly if the cabinet's already full (not sure if it is or not as we're in an established Virgin cable area apart from a few roads)?

Although I think it's a slim chance, I hope it is the router as it would be a quick fix and may even get me a Sky Q Hub to replace my SR102.

What's annoying me most is the inconsistency from the Sky support agents. The first offered an Openreach engineer straight away, although that was inconvenient at that moment as I'd just had over two weeks off work and couldn't not turn up on my first day back (now wish I'd already booked it off anyway as it would also have helped with the jet lag, lol). The second agent refused to arrange for anyone to come out and the third goes for the Sky engineer saying that's all the system would allow her to do despite the first agent saying different and apparently leaving notes on the ticket to that effect.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jun-18 20:05:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
When Sky says their tests are OK, if they are seeing sync and you are not, suggests the connection has been mistakenly moved to another home or their fault system cannot spot that your modem is not connected.

But where the OP has no sync at all that shows no BB connection at all on the line, so if it was switched with somebody else the tests should of failed due to the other address cannot have a bb connection due to the OP router not syncing.

So how has the ISP tests passed.

When we had a full copper line swap, our BB connection was down, but it was still in sync with the exchange where as the OP said theirs wasn't.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 16-Jun-18 06:45:05
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Well for a start the tests are not that great if they failing to detect that the ISP session is down, you would think a basic part of the test actually can detect if the internet connection is running, they can do that by trying to communicate with the sky hub.

It looks to me that the test they ran is just the basic openreach remote tester, I mean its a good test in that it is cheap and quick to run, but its definitely not a test that picks up all problems.

If my connection had been down for the length of time the OPs has I would certianly have made a lot more than 3 calls, if there was no cause of action planned. The only 2 acceptable cause's of action here is either (a) fault identified and work is planned to fix it, or (b) openreach engineer booked. So just keep ringing until (a) or (b) is achieved. Even if it means you doing call after call for an hour. IF you feel you hit your patience limit, then contact the CEO to get a sane cause of action.

I personally would have snapped their hands off at the next day appointment, surely you could have worked out something with employer, but you have now I think realised that mistake and time cant be turned back, so be firm on the phone, make it clear you know what you talking about, you dont need a sky engineer to confirm the connection is down, you need the problem fixing instead. If they insist, then a same day appointment or next morning appointment is ok for a sky engineer providing the openreach engineer is also booked in the system as well ready to go for when the sky engineer fails.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 16-Jun-18 06:47:35)

Standard User DoomWolf
(regular) Sat 16-Jun-18 16:25:28
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I think the line test is just looking for problems on the line itself, not whether the Sky hub is responding. I can do that test myself on the Sky website and, no surprise, it comes back saying my hub canít be detected.

I donít see what good calling them over and over again would do me. Quite apart from it wasting a lot of my own time, what else are they going to do if theyíre insisting on sending one of their own guys and have already made the appointment for tomorrow? Surely any subsequent calls will just end with them pointing out that the appointment has been made. They canít identify the fault from their end and obviously want their own engineer to rule out my equipment before risking a charge from Openreach, as has already been pointed out. Incidentally, tomorrow was the earliest appointment they could offer for their own broadband engineer.

However, itís the offer of an Openreach visit made on my first call to them that confuses and annoys me as I can see thatís what will be needed in the end anyway. As for snapping their hands off, that was impossible at the time. Iíd just got back home following an overnight flight from Seattle and travelling back to the Midlands from Heathrow after having 11 days off work as holiday. Not turning up at work the following day was not an option and booking holiday requires a little more notice and loss of broadband hardly counts as an emergency.

It really annoys me how some companies (British Gas are also guilty of this in my recent experience) automatically assume that people can just drop everything or waste a dayís holiday just to wait around for them to provide the service weíre paying for. I have a 21 day holiday entitlement minus the 11 Iíve just used and a holiday year than runs until next April, so Iíd rather avoid using it unnecessarily.

Thereís not much point in doing anything now except waiting for the Sky guy to turn up tomorrow just to confirm that my internet connection doesnít work.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 16-Jun-18 19:45:49
Print Post

Because persistence can get you somewhere, and you have already said it seems a lottery on the response you get, so you will eventually win the lottery if you keep entering (calling). You not going to get anywhere just sitting there and not contacting them.

You just said your broadband been down is only a minor issue, so just dont rant about it, after all its not important as you said.

You have followed their script now, so wait for the sky guy, he will either find a mistake you made in diagnosing or proceed the fault to the next stage.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User DoomWolf
(regular) Sat 16-Jun-18 19:56:55
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I didnít say it was a minor issue to me (it's extremely inconvenient in fact), but hardly likely to be counted as an emergency by my employer.

I just donít believe that contacting Sky over and over again is going to make a jot of difference. At this stage Iím prepared to let them do what they need to do in order to determine that it requires escalating to BT. Itís what happens at that stage that Iím more concerned about. If BT go along and plug something back in and it works, happy days. Is anything that simple with BT though? (I work for a company owned by BT and am therefore ultimately a BT employee, so I think I know the answer).

Edited by DoomWolf (Sat 16-Jun-18 20:06:54)

Standard User DoomWolf
(regular) Sun 17-Jun-18 17:08:15
Print Post

The Sky engineer swapped my master socket and mk2 BT faceplate for a NTE5C and mk4 faceplate (has to do that apparently) and confirmed that it still wasnít working so Openreach engineer is now booked for Tuesday morning.

Standard User DoomWolf
(regular) Tue 19-Jun-18 10:35:23
Print Post

Just to update that Openreach have fixed the problem. It was caused by a combination of a subcontractor doing work in the cabinet and our connection in the cabinet being previously mis-recorded. Thatís something Iíve suspected for a long time given previous problems weíve had, especially when we ended up with someone elseís phoneline when we were migrated from Be to Sky.

Incidentally I know that we are 414 metres from the cabinet and that we are on the very first port within the fibre cabinet (I ordered fibre within the first couple of hours of the cabinet going live for orders). I have to give praise to the Openreach engineer who knew his stuff and was a really nice guy as well.

Print Thread

Jump to