User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Thu 12-Jul-18 10:09:03
Print Post

Re: Slow Single Thread Speed

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, donít think itís a problem at my end. I did think it might be congestion, but then Iíve done speed tests in the early hours and the problem is still there. Bit of a weird one.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Jul-18 10:19:12
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

Have you tried downloading the test files from the TBB site? Download one of the large files and see if the download rate is consistent.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jul-18 12:56:18
Print Post

I am 99.9% it is the Airties mesh system, on the 76 meg you see around 50 to 55 single thread and 38mbps 20 to 25. I would bet my life using your own router "resolved" it - although it is not really an issue. It's similar to QOS, the whole principle designed by airties is no one client can consume all the bandwidth thereby negatively impacting other users, with exceptions where it is entirely necessary eg a video stream at 35Mbps.

The airties setup is not entirely disabled just because you have no sky tv.

The more connected the more "managed" things become.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 12-Jul-18 13:55:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Jul-18 13:50:23
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Surely though that would be related to wireless throughput and not wired?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jul-18 13:55:21
Print Post

It is managed based on the sync speed, AFAIK. You would not want one client to saturate the full line speed as that could impact the ability to stream on another client. Also, where you are fully saturating a line, it can impact pings for online gaming etc. Each client is managed in a way that it can do what it requires, without impacting other users too much.

When I had Sky Q my single thread was capped, switching to my own router it was "normal."

Call it what it is, a fancy QOS which manages everything.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 12-Jul-18 13:56:03)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Jul-18 14:01:07
Print Post

Well, that would stop me from going with Sky then. If it is going to throttle endpoints then I want the option to control it - I could sort of understand it on a wireless mesh but not on a wired connection.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jul-18 14:07:20
Print Post

Agreed an on / off would be nice. Most users don't notice given the multi threaded isn't impacted. It's the typical for 95% of users vs 5%, for the 95% being able to download 4K movies on the sky box, game and stream all at once with minimal impact is a better experience than the sky download slowing everything down.
(member) Sat 14-Jul-18 08:02:56
Print Post

Hi Ian.

Just tried a test file. Hovering around 3MB (slightly less most of the time), so about 24Mb. Similar to the single thread speed test,

Edited by _Resonance_ (Sat 14-Jul-18 08:05:52)

(member) Sat 14-Jul-18 08:37:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Agreed an on / off would be nice. Most users don't notice given the multi threaded isn't impacted. It's the typical for 95% of users vs 5%, for the 95% being able to download 4K movies on the sky box, game and stream all at once with minimal impact is a better experience than the sky download slowing everything down.

The problem I had last night was some of my bandwidth was presumably being reserved for elsewhere and I didn't have enough for my PC. I was updating my sat nav (plugged into PC), which resulted in my hardly being able to browse the net. With pages taking 20 seconds to load. It's a weird system.

Anyone know if there's a cooling off period for Sky Fibre and how long it is?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Jul-18 09:24:24
Print Post

If you saturate your connection then other bursty activity like web browsing is going to be impacted.

This sat nav download does not sound like a Sky imposed problem, but a self made one

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to