User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FlamingDazzler
(newbie) Thu 27-Dec-18 09:56:55
Print Post

Recently lost half my download speed.

[link to this post]

I recently upgraded from Skyís 40/10 product (which was solid and always gave me 40meg down), to their 80/20 service and a new Sky Q hub.

I was getting 50Mbps down (40Mbps on Wi-Fi), even had the line all checked by OR at Skyís insistence as I was a couple of meg short of their anticipated speed, but I was pleased enough.

This week I noticed that my download speed has dropped to about 25Mbps on both wireless and wired. Checking some speed test logs suggests itís been like this for a couple of weeks or so. Voice line is fine, BTW.

Checked the Sky hub and it was connected at only 25000kbps, so rebooted it and itís now synced at 50000 again, but Iím still only getting about 25 meg.

I called Sky, and the line passed all their tests so their goon blamed the following:
1. The Wi-fi signal/poor placement (but Iím seeing it on wired devices).
2. My ďinternet cableĒ - by which he meant my Ethernet cable. But Iím seeing it on wireless devices, but tried a different cable to humour him.
3. The physical port on the hub. See answer to 2 and tried a different port just in case.

I also tried a different ADSL cable, but all the cables are brand new and nothing has changed since I was getting better speeds.

They are sending a new hub just in case, but I donít think this can be something on my side.

Here are my current line stats (apologies for what Iím sure will be bad formatting when Iíve finished typing):

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed (Kbps) 53670 20000
Line Attenuation (dB) DS1:11.0 DS2:24.7 DS3:37.9 US0:6.2 US1:21.9 US2:31.8
Noise Margin (dB) DS1:6.6 DS2:6.5 DS3:6.5 US0:11.1 US1:11.0 US2:11.0

Any clues?

TIA.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 28-Dec-18 16:52:55
Print Post

Re: Recently lost half my download speed.

[re: FlamingDazzler] [link to this post]

if sky use ip profiles, then it may be stuck, but I dont think they do.

Might be best to wait until new year has passed before pressing ahead with a possible service fault, when everyone is back working properly, in that time a fault may get fixed and it goes back to normal by itself.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User FlamingDazzler
(newbie) Mon 31-Dec-18 08:31:15
Print Post

Re: Recently lost half my download speed.

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
if sky use ip profiles, then it may be stuck, but I dont think they do.

Might be best to wait until new year has passed before pressing ahead with a possible service fault, when everyone is back working properly, in that time a fault may get fixed and it goes back to normal by itself.

After a couple of days, the speed crept back up by itself. So case closed! Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to