User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
  Print Thread
Standard User RosL
(newbie) Wed 21-Apr-10 22:18:31
Print Post

Talk Talk Members speed test v Think Broadband speed test

[link to this post]

I'm puzzled about the discrepancy between the speeds I get between doing these two speed tests. Even done within a few mins of each other, the result from the Talk Talk members' site is invariably markedly greater than doing the Think Broadband test.

Far be it from me to accuse anybody of deliberately skewing results, but just as an example, I've just done a test before posting here and these are the results I got - not untypical

From the Talk Talk Members site, http://www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/53/124/

Download shows as 10068 KBits/s and upload as 529 KBits/s (copied and pasted direct from the results page)

From Think Broadand site, the results are

Download 4Mbps and upload 0.8Mbps

Even taking into account the incremental difference Kbps as opposed to Mbps, this simply doesn't tally - there is no resemblance whatsoever between the two sets of results.

I am using a PC running Windows XP. My processor is an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, it's running at 3.02Gh and there is 3.00GB Ram. The 298GB hard drive has 210 GB of free space. I use a wired connection to an Echo Life HG520s router, as supplied by TalkTalk. There have been problems lately with dropped connections, which I've had help with from TalkTalk first level tech team, but it still happens from time to time.

No other computer is running in my house and the router is protected from piggybacking
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Apr-10 18:07:08
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk Members speed test v Think Broadband speed tes

[re: RosL] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RosL:
I'm puzzled about the discrepancy between the speeds I get between doing these two speed tests. Even done within a few mins of each other, the result from the Talk Talk members' site is invariably markedly greater than doing the Think Broadband test.

The Thinkbroadband test shows faster speeds on my PC.

TT TEST - http://i40.tinypic.com/2z53j85.png

TB TEST - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/12719...
Standard User ETEE
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Apr-10 21:46:06
Print Post

The TT speed tester is on the TT LLU network, so the speed indicates what the TT network is capable of. When you use a speedtester like thinkbroadband, the TT network connects to it via switching centres like LYNX and TeleHouse. The loss of throughput is usually due to these centres which connect different networks together.

I live near London and my results on both speedtesters are almost identical.

ETEE

16448kbps/1017kbps Best Speed 13820kbps cool ThinkBroadband SpeedTester

Worst Speed 211kbps confused shocked TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+

Edited by ETEE (Thu 22-Apr-10 21:47:27)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RosL
(newbie) Fri 23-Apr-10 14:07:48
Print Post

[re: ETEE] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ETEE:
The TT speed tester is on the TT LLU network, so the speed indicates what the TT network is capable of. When you use a speedtester like thinkbroadband, the TT network connects to it via switching centres like LYNX and TeleHouse. The loss of throughput is usually due to these centres which connect different networks together.

Thanks ETEE - that's over my head, I'm afraid. Are you saying that one is direct and the other isn't, causing the difference? If that's the case, I wonder why yours are the same?

Puzzled, I'm afraid
Standard User ETEE
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Apr-10 15:43:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by RosL:
In reply to a post by ETEE:

Thanks ETEE - that's over my head, I'm afraid. Are you saying that one is direct and the other isn't, causing the difference? If that's the case, I wonder why yours are the same?

Puzzled, I'm afraid

What I'm saying is that there are other bottlenecks in your connection with third party speedtesters, compared with your connection to the TT speedtester.

If you try both at 5am, I suspect you will get the same results on each. Most bottlenecks are due to capacity limitations in peak periods and this test will show whether I am right or not.

All the main interconnect centres are in London mainly Docklands, so you usually get better connections if you live near there. TT used to use its own 3 main switching hubs in Manchester, London and Birmingham. As is obvious, Manchester generated traffic has further to travel to Docklands, although the TT speedtester is located in Manchester the last time I looked. So if you were located near to Manchester your path to the TT speedtester would be short, but a route to another such as thinkbroadband would be down to London and then back up to whereever the speedtester was located. I hope you can see why speeds could be different especially at peak use times. It really depends on where you live. London is best.

ETEE

16448kbps/1017kbps Best Speed 13820kbps cool ThinkBroadband SpeedTester

Worst Speed 211kbps confused shocked TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+
  Print Thread

Jump to