User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User catch22
(member) Sun 13-Jun-10 15:13:25
Print Post

Anyone using VPN for torrent or otherwise?

[link to this post]

Anyone using VPN for torrent or otherwise on TalkTalk? Is it allowed?
Standard User tommy45
(experienced) Sun 13-Jun-10 15:31:51
Print Post

Re: Anyone using VPN for torrent or otherwise?

[re: catch22] [link to this post]

Use of a VPN service should not be restricted on any isp, if it is ,i have never heard of it, as for what you use the vpn for, if it is encrypted your isp will not be able to snoop on what you are using it for, they could cause it to drop connection which would then enable them to see what you where doing,but short of that they could only guess

Standard User blueacid
(member) Sat 19-Jun-10 20:52:32
Print Post

They might start to throttle the VPN; I know that Plusnet already restrict VPN connections to 2mbit at all times. For a business user, that's not utterly terrible (should be enough for email and the odd file transfer). For sustained downloads, perhaps not the best.

You might also consider using a seedbox - a service selling you access to a 100mbit connection and providing torrent software. The seedbox does all the torrent downloading, and once complete you can download the files using a method of your choice; HTTP / HTTPS / FTP / SFTP.

Of course, if you're paying for one of those, the argument is "why not get talk talk pro", or "why not move to a provider who doesn't throttle torrents - at a higher cost"

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Xilo LLU - Resold C&W on MRCEN. Bliss!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kentatsu
(newbie) Mon 13-Sep-10 12:06:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by catch22:
Anyone using VPN for torrent or otherwise on TalkTalk? Is it allowed?

I am using Torrent vpn service to hide my activity from my local ISP (thay shape upload speed on torrents downloading ...stupid idiots ).
This service is specially designed for such purposes.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Sep-10 12:39:43
Print Post

[re: Kentatsu] [link to this post]

Note its only a 100Meg link on the server, so one wonders how many $15 users it will take before contention makes it perform badly, or pricing goes up to buy a 1Gig link

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andyrp
(member) Mon 13-Sep-10 20:40:20
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Of course, if you're paying for one of those, the argument is "why not get talk talk pro", or "why not move to a provider who doesn't throttle torrents - at a higher cost"

Do they still offer the Pro package; I personally have chosen not to go with Talk Talk as it is not clear what the P2P restrictions would be.
Standard User Kitchen
(committed) Mon 13-Sep-10 21:04:44
Print Post

[re: andyrp] [link to this post]

I was scouting the TT official forums last night regarding torrents and they say they do traffic shape, but they don't say how, what where and when.

Sheffield Node
ADSL24
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Sep-10 06:01:21
Print Post

[re: Kitchen] [link to this post]

I think the simple answer is TalkTalk have always shaped P2P and they will shape P2P enough to keep every body's connections working how they should for all other protocols .

I keep saying it but there has been a constant stream of P2P questions , if your into P2P and like to spank your line , you will not be happy at talktalk .

If you dabble at P2P its not a problem , as things take as long as they take and normally speeds up in the early morning . but the up shot of this is , online gaming , streaming and other latency crucial protocols work really well .

As a long time TalkTalk customer i hope they always throttle the living day lights out of P2P on all packages as needed and when needed .

I believe the Plus package has prioritised traffic shaping but again if you go in hard on those P2P protocols you will attract more Traffic shaping which is what i believe im seeing with the posts regarding the plus package .

The comments about the Pro package not being traffic managed where about the Pro package , that's not a product offered any more . So what ever was said with regards the Pro package needs wiping and forgetting .

TalkTalk traffic management has been dynamic for a long time , which means its active and throttles what ever needs throttling at what ever time to keep the network working ( P2P ) and yes that does mean on the Essentials package torrents being throttled to 1kbs , so anything better than this on the Plus package would be prioritised traffic shaping .

UKonline... Premier LLU

Edited by woweebert (Tue 14-Sep-10 06:16:58)

Standard User Kitchen
(committed) Tue 14-Sep-10 06:24:38
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

Define spanking, I use torrents maybe 4-6 times a week on my current package, downloads are set to start at 2am regardless of protocol.

I have unlimited (no FUP) between 8pm and 8am and I still delay my downloads til late night.

Sheffield Node
ADSL24
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Sep-10 06:43:07
Print Post

[re: Kitchen] [link to this post]

Personally now on the Essentials package , my torrents run at full speed in the early hours , that was not the case a couple of years ago when they seemed to be throttled 24/7 .

I believe you would not be unhappy with there dynamic shaping as it is at the moment , but it is on a exchange by exchange basis so how my torrents perform on my exchange may not be the same as they perform on your exchange .

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but its the best answer with the information i have at this moment .

Spanking would be somebody that runs P2P during peak hours , in fact all hours .

UKonline... Premier LLU
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to