User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User anarchist125
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 18:21:43
Print Post

Talktalk - Should be faster, surely?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Just after some opinions and advice.

I live in a town centre, approximately 2km line length from the exchange. My line quality is very good from the figures, however Talktalk are 'claiming' that the fastest speed my line will support is about 8.4mb.

I'm positive that this is rubbish though. I've tried speaking to them twice, been through both first line (useless) and second line (mostly useless) support, and constantly fobbed off with the same disinterest. Yet I'm certain my line should support much faster.

I'm told that as I get 8mb, thats plenty so I should stop moaning... I don't really use my broadband for that much, mostly just for the xbox. It's not a massive issue if they don't sort it but if I'm entitled to faster, I would like faster!

Connection Speed 8404 kbps 924 kbps
Line Attenuation 28 db 7 db
Noise Margin 12 db 12 db
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 18:37:51
Print Post

Re: Talktalk - Should be faster, surely?

[re: anarchist125] [link to this post]

Oh, forgot to mention - the reason I'm suspicious is mostly because in my old house before I moved down here, I had a similar situation again with TalkTalk.

Every few months, my line speed would drop from 8mb to about 4-5mb. And it would stop there, right up until the point where I would call them up, spend two hours on the phone until eventually I managed to get hold of somebody who would put the line speed back up to 8-9mb.

Where it would stay, for several months without any problems... Until it randomly dropped again. Did this three or four times over a couple or so years
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:02:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by anarchist125:
Every few months, my line speed would drop from 8mb to about 4-5mb. And it would stop there, right up until the point where I would call them up, spend two hours on the phone until eventually I managed to get hold of somebody who would put the line speed back up to 8-9mb.

Do you honestly think you call the call centre and the guy at the other end takes the caster on the end of his office chair leg off your phone line giving you back your 4mb? grin

Estimate using your stats - http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/92/aaaacapture.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User normcall
(member) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:27:33
Print Post

Are you on 8Mbps or 20Mbps?
ADSL2, ADSL2+ or ADSL?

I'm having the same with AOL. Like you, It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to get something near to what possible rather than the 'be grateful' attitude.

I've even got an e-mail from tech support saying I should contact level 2 to get the profile changed. So you ring them up ans apparently it can't possibly go any faster than what I'm getting and no, I can't talk to level 2 and yes, the e-mail was false and I couldn't possibly have had it as level 2 do not communicate with customers.

To crown it all I had another e-mail today from those who don't speak to customers (rather the last person was not available - got shot, I expect!) and to prove my line couldn't go faster, directed me to a speed prediction site that only deals with ADSL. rather than ADSL2+ which is what I have. It didn't even list the D-Link router AOL supplied, only the ADSL ones. Earlier this evening, my super fast ADSL2+ download was slower than I have had on the old ADSL 8Mbps service.

Just to show how keen they want customers to stop bothering them with trivialities, on Saturday, they even suggested I ring again and select option 5 to cancel the service.

Just been to the Kitz site but it doesn't take into account the SNmargin. We have FTTC, so things are not as bad as Kitz make out

Edited by normcall (Mon 07-Feb-11 19:36:15)

(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:33:20
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
Do you honestly think you call the call centre and the guy at the other end takes the caster on the end of his office chair leg off your phone line giving you back your 4mb? grin

Estimate using your stats - http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/92/aaaacapture.png

I have noticed a very common trend on pretty much every thread on this forum, of smart [censored], believing they are superior to all, coming out with hilariously sarcastic unhelpful comments.

Give up trying to show off on the Interweb. If you're not bothered in actually trying to help, and instead just keep trying to win e-points, don't bother.

a) You weren't the one who spent hours on the phone getting my previous issues solved, several times. You wern't there, you had nothing to do with it. Talktalk had obviously profiled me onto a slower profile. Which they admitted to having done when I eventually got through to the right people. Simple.

b) Congratulations on using a web form. I managed to do that all by myself. Realistically that means nothing to TalkTalk though as I explained so again, unhelpful.
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:45:51
Print Post

[re: normcall] [link to this post]

Hi mate,

I'm on ADSL2+ which they are still quoting as 'up to 24mbps'.

Sounds pretty much like the exact same situation as you're in - except I managed to speak to TT's 'level 2 support', who basically told me the same as 'level 1'

As you say, they do have the 'you should be grateful' attitude which stinks more than anything :\

My line stats say 16mb, but Talktalk say 'we're not giving you any more than 8, so tough'
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:47:56
Print Post

I have noticed a very common trend on pretty much every thread on this forum, of smart [censored], believing they are superior to all, coming out with hilariously sarcastic unhelpful comments.

It was a joke but do you seriously expect us to believe your line goes slow, you ring them, they flick a switch and you are back to full speed again for a few months?

a) You weren't the one who spent hours on the phone getting my previous issues solved, several times. You wern't there, you had nothing to do with it. Talktalk had obviously profiled me onto a slower profile. Which they admitted to having done when I eventually got through to the right people. Simple.

b) Congratulations on using a web form. I managed to do that all by myself. Realistically that means nothing to TalkTalk though as I explained so again, unhelpful.

Maybe in future you could provide the full facts in the OP then others would not waste their time repeating what you already know, in the meantime do us a favour and blow it out your donkey.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Mon 07-Feb-11 19:52:09)

Standard User Deputy_Dog
(learned) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:53:03
Print Post

If you join the talktalkmembers forum and put your question to one of the OCE's in the 'Broadband Speed & Web Browsing' sub-forum then you'll find that they will better sort you problem out than ever the telephone support will.

If you haven't registered you will need to do so with talktslk details on theregistration page. If you have problems logging in as often people do then use the Contact Us link.
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:53:30
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jack_Hackett:
Maybe in future you could provide the full facts in the OP then others would not waste their time repeating what you already know, in the meantime kindly blow it out your donkey smart ass.

Heh, not such a smart assed reply this time? Well done on looking like a complete clown. You do amuse me.
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:54:41
Print Post

[re: Deputy_Dog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deputy_Dog:
If you join the talktalkmembers forum and put your question to one of the OCE's in the 'Broadband Speed & Web Browsing' sub-forum then you'll find that they will better sort you problem out than ever the telephone support will.

If you haven't registered you will need to do so with talktslk details on theregistration page. If you have problems logging in as often people do then use the Contact Us link.

Cheers mate, I shall have a go with that later!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to