User comments on ISPs
  >> TalkTalk Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kenr
(member) Tue 22-Feb-11 18:26:47
Print Post

TT coming to my area on 28/2 - to move or not?

[link to this post]

According to samknows TT LLU is going live at the end of the month.

I am with PN on the unlimited BB at the mo costing £25 since the vat (!) increase.
With TT's offer of 1/2 price BB for 12 months + phone I recon it will be less than what I am paying for that alone.

Reading on here it looks like their service has improved since I last checked them, p2p is throttled but I don't use that much - what about usenet is it throttled or full speed?

Given my stats of 24,0/44,0db I will not see much in the way of speed increase but as long as I get much the same (at the mo I sync at just under 7Mb) d/l rate I am not too bothered.

Ken
Standard User bilbo8
(committed) Tue 22-Feb-11 20:40:44
Print Post

Re: TT coming to my area on 28/2 - to move or not?

[re: kenr] [link to this post]

DEFINITELY NOT !!

do some research on talk talk and you will find copious amounts of reading stating that they are truly abysmal. google is your friend, log into the scream and read some of the talk talk tales of despair there. also log into talk talk hell and read some of the stories there too. i left them after 4 days of incompetence, ineptitude and experiece of the worst ISP you could possibly imagine. look at ISP review sites and see how well they fare there, vast majority of reviewer implore readers to stay away from talk talk wishing that they had.

save your money and your sanity and stay as far away from talk talk as is possible.

Happy anywhere, as long as it ISNT talk talk.

Edited by bilbo8 (Tue 22-Feb-11 20:46:21)

Standard User Zigtek
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Feb-11 21:12:44
Print Post

And to redress the balance slightly...

I left Entanet IPstream for Talktalk LLU, and I am now paying a lot less and have got over twice the speed I had.
It's 100% completely reliable, and although phone support leaves much to be desired (OK it's CARP!) the TT members forum OCE's are knowledgeable, curteous and get the issue dealt with.
I haven't regretted the move for more than .001/ second smile

oh, and usenet is full speed 24/7/365 (allegedly) wink

Dr Zig prescribes...More Beer! smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fenris
(experienced) Tue 22-Feb-11 21:17:27
Print Post

For your needs I'd say yes, but only you can decide. I joined to save money and also because TalkTalk are the only LLU alternative to BT at my exchange. Seems like you're in a similar position on that front, so I'd say go for it. The service has been great for me for 2 + years now.

Virgin>freeserve>BTBroadband>ndo>plusnet>IDNet>ZeN>NEWNET>entanet[ukfsn]>>>>>TalkTalk LLU
Standard User Jack_Hackett
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Feb-11 22:11:05
Print Post

[re: Zigtek] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zigtek:
And to redress the balance slightly...

And also to address the balance i have been a TT customer for more than 12 months and have had no problems at all, i get great speed and gaming pings and have recommended TT to family and friends who have also joined without problem.

speed and ping - http://www.speedtest.net/result/1169541016.png
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Feb-11 23:43:29
Print Post

The biggest issue with TalkTalk is there phone support but if your happy to use a forum for your support needs you should be fine .

The important bit the connection has improved allot since there early days .

Can't advise with regards Usenet but I would say its probably traffic shaped at peak times but as I don't use it , I can't say for certain .

Vivaciti MurphX LLU
Standard User SimonCandest
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Feb-11 08:28:57
Print Post

I left NewNet a few months ago when TT unbundled my exchange. I have not looked back. And TBH, while the phone support is not great, on 2 of the 3 occasions I have had to call I have got what was needed quickly and with a minimum of fuss. The 1 bad experience with phone support was for someone else....

USENET is not throttled. Use it all the time and it runs at full speed. I have also done a little p2p and it will sometimes fly, others crawl. Depends on the time of day I guess.

I think you would see a synch increase. I know I did with 25db. now at 23.1 db and seems rock solid. went from about 8Mb to 17Mb (must try and work out why I am only getting 13.5Mb throughput though??)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying on TalkTalk

My Broadband Speed Test

Gib mir die Hand, ich bau dir ein Schloss aus Sand
Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann.
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Wed 23-Feb-11 08:47:10
Print Post

Also happy on TT LLU. Been with them 18 months and no outages. Getting 17.5Mb on a line TT estimate at 20Mb. Never tried to use TT Call Centre who are (reputedly) hopeless. You will get all the support you need from the helpful folk on the TT user support forum.
Standard User kenr
(member) Wed 23-Feb-11 09:58:04
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

OK thatís about what I have researched, if you need to phone them expect problems but web/forums are fine.

So hopefully I will be moving next month and looking forward to the savings.

Ken
Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Wed 23-Feb-11 11:09:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by kenr:
OK thatís about what I have researched, if you need to phone them expect problems but web/forums are fine.

So hopefully I will be moving next month and looking forward to the savings.

Not necessarily. My Talktalk LLU service went active at around 9am. Now since i'm on a stable & short line, i wanted to get my downstream noise margin changed to 6db and be put on a fastpath profile for higher speed and better pings (i believe talktalk's default SNR is 12db and interleaving on). I know i should have waited at least a few days before requesting this but i got impatient and called Level 2 support (India) a few hours later asking for these changes. Guess what? No questions asked, they changed my SNR and put me on a fastpath profile straightaway! I was gobsmaked as to how easy it was. So whilst i agree that that generally speaking their telephone support sucks, sometimes you do hit the jackpot. When needing telephone technical support, i always recommend you call their Level 2 support (based in India or Eire) directly so you bypass their level 1 monkeys.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17066 / 1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.2 db down / 12.8db up